Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Should I sell my home or try to repair the issue?

This is the last time I will ask this question, I promise. I live on a first floor condo and I have issues with the noise levels coming from upstairs. I’m looking to have spray foam placed into the ceiling or installing another dry wall. I spoke with the HOA and they’re saying installation is as follows upstairs: Ceiling - Gypsum Board- Subflooring- Padding- Carpet. That’s the order from ceiling to flooring upstairs. They also said there’s another form of padding between my unit and the ceiling. But I hear EVERYTHING. Are my neighbors just noisy? If I move out, I may not necessarily sell my home right away. I would rent it out and then sell once I have paid off more. Which would cost more? Moving or repair?Im afraid that the repair would not fully resolve the issue

Move to a Condo next to a busy interstate highway and you won't notice your neighbours.

If you move out, sell right away. Do not mess around trying to rent out the condo.  [Thinking outside the box] -  Another option to reduce noise is to (probably at your expende) put down some insulating material (like foam board; or a thicker carpet pad) and then new flooring (pergola, thicker carpet) on the floor of the condo above you. 

• T J

I understand that there is a sound proof board, like sheet rock that you can put over the existing ceiling Look for sound proofing contractors 

Wearing Industrial grade Ear Plugs work too for cheap.  It is foam which you roll in your forefinger and thumb to a point and shove the pointed end in your ear.  The blood heat causes the foam to expand and make it quieter. Welders and iron workers(guys banging on metal with a hammer) use it every day so they do not go DEAF.

. Your plan will not work. The quiet condo's have a concrete floor between the floors and concrete is much more DENSE than a Wooden floor which is above your gypsum drywall.  But their carpet should drown out most of the noise.  If anything, carpet the floor of the unit above you(including the kitchen floor) would do more than your effort with the foam and gypsum drywall on your ceiling to make it quieter from above.

OR MOVE

Move out. It is much simpler. Sell it or rent it, whichever is better for you financially. 

I had one like that. I just sold it. 

you've already decided to move

You have to tolerate a certain amount of noise in most apartments. That's why houses are a better option. It would be better value to buy another property than spend a lot of money trying to rectify a situation which you are still going to be unhappy with.

• Edwena

In my opinion you will not be able to reduce the noise to a level that you would be satisfied with by the addition of an acoustic barrier.   And it will reduce your ceiling height and make your living space low, which will make your condo very difficult to sell.  Certainly spray foam is not going to work.  Are you talking to acoustic people and these are sound deadening materials?  And you have an acoustic design?  Have you seen a place that has been sprayed and have any data on the sound deadening properties of this product?  If there is no data, this foam is not an acoustic material.  You might talk to some acoustic people and look at mass loaded vinyl (?), but you are dealing in something that is customized and expensive and still will not fix your problem.   The is no way to reduce a loud noise to a threshold that is inaudible.  You will hear it, it just won't be as loud.  And you get use to it.  There are people who live underneath the flight paths of jets at major airports.  Or on a street that suddenly has lots of traffic.  If it disturbs you, move.   And, when you move, move someplace where you are further away from people.  At least a house, better yet on acreage in a small town away from people.  You might also consider if you are psychologically adapted for the city.

thats up to you

Rent it to a club DJ.