Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I got this old lawn mower engine in the garage can i build a generator with it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, you can provided you have the right skill set and it is approved by your HOA.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The trouble with trying to do something with a lawnmower engine is the blade acts as the flywheel.  Remove the blade from your mower and try to start it.  If it fires, it jumps around and runs very roughly.  If you can somehow overcome that, you can do something with it.  I built a 12V DC generator using a horizontal crankshaft 2 HP edger motor and a GM alternator.   It worked but it wasn't very useful.  

• 1 month ago

As an experiment or as a toy you can. I did this, with an old lawnmower engine belted to an old car dynamo, in fact I've still got it. It'll run a couple of car headlight bulbs but that's about all.  Difficult to start, noisy and inefficient but it works.

For a practical generator for your house or for running tools it will be no good.

• 1 month ago

Sure but lawnmower engines aren't exactly powerful, a typical push more engine is only going to be good for about 15A-125V, and a worn out one might get you enough to run a modern LCD TV and nothing else.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If it runs, it can power a generator.

If you have to ask, YOU can't do the job.

• 1 month ago

Yes, but by the time you buy all the materials you will need to build it you can buy one already professional built for less money. 

• 1 month ago

In practical terms, no. If you even have to ask, then no.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have the skill to do it then yes, just be certain the generator's bearings are designed to run in a vertical position, or else construct a mount and belt layout that will connect the genny in such a way that it can run.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you possess the appropriate skills yes. Much easier and cheaper to buy a generator though.

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, absolutely not ........

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.