Americans think North Korean propaganda is funny, but why do so many Americans take their own propaganda seriously, like it is true?

In the UK I had a Polish lecturer many years ago. We used to pull his leg because he lived in Poland when it was part of the USSR. We tried to tell him about propaganda. He told us that we were being fed propaganda, too.

For instance, he said, think how the BBC describes a change of power somewhere. They could say, "The new government in ..." or they might say, "The new regime in ...". You knew instinctively that the regime was not considered legitimate while the government was.

Just a few subtle choices of words can subconsciously colour your views.

This is an excellent topic of discussion.  Growing up, I always heard 'state run' media like Russias, Chinas, and NKs mocked by my teachers in school for being used as tool to dupe their citizens....

As an adult I cant see how our media is any different 

You are surly unaware of American exceptionalism. If you could only understand how a cowboy works.....