Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

Why has the marriage rate dropped off so much since the 1970s?

Too many options out there  saddle yourself with one lifelong bad decision 

Because the capitalism hates families

The US is way more capitalist today than in the 1970s. The 1970s wasn't the best of times either, but in comparison to today, today is much worse

Probably many factors.   Church attendance is down.  Birth control is more common.  Weddings got too big and complicated.  Families not as tight as they used to be.     (?)

A waning institution designed for an agrarian, parochial,  and stable society. We are now technological, mobile, and fast changing. Same with religion. Both will eventually be supplanted with new versions.  

Temporary marriage is not unknown in some cultures and is already being explored in some other places.  https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/06/06/mexico-appr...

We don't live in a society anymore where one person can comfortably provide for the family. Men/women don't need to be married, or want in some cases. I know that after my divorce 12 years ago, I didn't want marriage for some time again. I loved casual sex and not having to answer to anything or anyone. But, even that gets old. Marked some stuff off my bucket list like a FMF threesome, sleeping with my ex's cousin, sleeping with my ex's best friend, etc. 

• Adam

It's become less a social norm. People have more choice now. There's less pressure to be married by your mid-twenties and have kids. Women now can have a career or have multiple relationships like Men do. Welcome to the modern world, things are getting more equal between the sexes thankfully and its showing.

Did you compare with the divorce rate?

For some time now. Nothing is sacred or means much. The children don't have much in the way of people to look up to. Its really sad and getting worse. Trump leaves no examples on how to live and treat people. I feel sorry for the children. 

• Mike L

It's a reflection of our leadership. 

Women have sex outside marriage. Pills have turned women into thots.