Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Teeth cleaning at dental office during pandemic?

Whether the pandemic is true or not true, what do you think about getting routine teeth cleaning now at the end of Oct 2020?  My dental office said they have extra safety measures in place, but in the end, you are the one ultimately responsible for your health and your safety.  What do you think from both patient and dentist's perspective?  Teeth cleaning is 100% covered under my insurance, and if I don't use it by end of the year, I will be forfeiting the benefit so I would hate to not get it done.

• Lili

Both my husband and I have done it this year. No problem.

My dental office is quite high tech and responsible. We were not at all concerned. They did charge extra for "Covid precautions," meaning extra protective equipment, but we certainly did not object to paying.  Insurance didn't cover that.

If you've had a good experience at your dental practice in the past, go ahead and get the cleaning done.  Don't be paranoid.

• East

It's fine.  I went to the dentist for a cleaning.  Temperature checks, the dentists and hygienists wore multiple masks and there was hand sanitizer all around. It was safe.

Go and relax...i recently had a full bridge done..no one in office

Trust your dental team.  Their office may be safer than the grocery store. I trust mine.

I've had two cleanings since the pandemic started and I would not miss one just because of it--in a dental office, your hygienist wears gloves AND a mask and probably a face-shield as well--and you are treated with the utmost in good practices for keeping you safe. Get your cleaning without worry. It's probably one of the safest places you CAN go. 

My dental office pre-screens everyone, and keeps the waiting room empty, as well. They also have hand sanitizer and wipes available right in the middle of the waiting room. I have absolutely NO worries. 

• Judith

Over 220,000 people have died of covid19 in the US alone and you ask "whether it's true or not?"  What is the matter with you?

You don't want to go to the dentist then don't go.  I had my teeth cleaned a few months ago and was very pleased with the precautions the office took.  As for the perspective from a dentist, you'd have to ask yours.

What does it matter what anyone else thinks anyway?  You're the one who would be in the dentist's chair.  You decide whether you think it's worth the risk; no one can make that decision for you.

Depends on your age, current dental health and how well you home care. I have numerous crowns, and an implant and I am older so dental care is important to me. I have been to the dentist 4 times since the Covid **** happened. My dentist manages the situation very well.

I have been twice since the pandemic. Nothing to worry about. 99% chance you do not get it and 99% chance that if you do you will be fine.

In my 50 years on the planet I've never had the suspicion that I've contracted a cold or anything else at the dentist's office.   Can't see why I would contract Covid either.

It amuses me that people are perfectly willing to go to Costco or eat restaurant delivery that has been in some stranger's cootie-filled car but are freaked about going to the dentist. 

???

Just had mine done and was comfortable:  patients only let in at appointment time and no sitting in waiting room - - - office staff masked - - - - hygienist always put on new gloves but now switches to a new mask as well - - - - everything wiped down.  Seemed as safe as sitting at home to us!