A police officer illegally checked my car without probable cause, what can I do?

I got pulled over yesterday for running a red light, when the officer pulled me over he asked me to step out the car and asked if I had a drivers license and insurance. He went inside my car without my consent and checked the glove compartment and the center console. Can he do this, or can I tell this to a judge when I go pay my ticket for running a red light. 

Update:

Miami florida 

Update 2:

Hopefully the judge can reduce the cost of the ticket or drop the charges if they know that theirs been a violation of human rights at that traffic stop. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Who is probable cause and why didn't she show up when she was supposed to?

• D50
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

You could pay a lawyer [much more than the cost of the ticket] to appeal the ticket and argue the whole illegal search nonsense. That's what you COULD do. The ACLU will not help you.

• 4 weeks ago

At present his Judge will excuse him out & double your fine.  His excuse will be with the election so close. We need double check for guns to keep people like you who care for rights to not shoot as as we distroy your rights. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Unless you took a video the cop will just lie his way out of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

All the judge is going to care about is the offense you were charged with. Searching your car doesn't change the fact you ran the red light, nor did he obtain evidence of the violation during the search so the judge won't care. 

If you feel your Fourth Amendment rights were violated, that would be a separate lawsuit. That is a federal matter, so you will need an attorney. 

• 4 weeks ago

You'll be lucky if you don't give the judge a heart attack laughing.  Cops can do whatever the damn well please.  At least he didn't physically harm you

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It sounds like there's more to this story.  Let's hear it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

were you arrested? if all you got was the ticket, then don't worry about it

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

What is your education in law? I find it amusing when amateurs think they know when something is illegal or it isn't, because most people are wrong. You are too.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Sure you can tell a judge this.  

Does that mean you didn't run the red light?   No.

What makes you think the officer didn't have probable cause?     Running a red light IS probable cause.   You committed a crime right in front of the officer.   LOL...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.