Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Do you think its abuse to threaten your 17 yo daughter?

I dropped out of highschool last year, and now they are saying that if I don't continue my education or do a honest effort to get a job they will kick me out once I turn 18. Meaning I will need to find a homeless shelter or something. Does this sound like abuse to you? I don't really want to work, I certainly don't want to be homeless, I just want to find and marry a nice guy who has no expectations of me!

No, it's not a threat on your folks' part. In their shoes, I'd do exactly the same thing. Somebody should have taken a belt to your privileged backside years ago, and given you a good hiding. You are a spoiled, ignorant teenybopper with a huge sense of ENTITLEMENT, and it's going to get you NOWHERE QUICK. You need to GROW UP SOME and LOSE the 'TUDE. Like SERIOUSLY. The world, your parents, and other people DON'T OWE YOU A LIVING, and life does NOT REVOLVE around YOU or what you want. Obviously, your folks never taught you that lesson, did they. EVERYONE has to work for a living, pal. There are NO FREE RIDES in life. I'm sure your folks are mighty pissed off at you for dropping out of school. I would be too. In fact, if it were me, you'd have been out on the street on your A** the instant you did that. Education isn't a luxury, it's a NECESSITY. Do you want to make a permanent career out of being a greeter at Walmart? Or flipping burgers at Mickey D's?

You say you want to get married. Well, I have a newsflash for you. Men prefer women who can take care of themselves. Women like that make better mothers, and are far more likely to be responsible spouses and parents. Most men these days want working wives, too. The old days when a man was the sole breadwinner in the household are gone forever, pal. Even stay at home moms have to work at least some of the time. Unless you want to spend your life moving from one homeless shelter to another, you need to get your A** back in SCHOOL, and get your diploma, so you can go on to college the way you're supposed to.

I fault your parents for your attitude as much as or more than I do YOU. This is what happens when parents don't discipline their kids. The kids grow up the way you have, thinking that the world owes them a living. It DOESN'T.

• L

WAKE UP ENTITLED BUTTER CUP!  Either return to school or get a job.....once you turn 18-years of age - you are on your own.

No, its not abuse unless they hit you/ do something that will physically or mentally abuse you. Most parents do kick their child out once they're 18, its part of life. I suggest you get a job to make some money, then when you're 18, you'll have enough money to pay for a small apartment. 18 is technically an adult, so find a job. It's not like you're going to live with them forever. So, either find a husband or stop being lazy and get a job! Laziness isn't going to help pay the bills.

You have one year to find a husband, princess.

NO, it sounds like you need to stop thinking mommy and daddy are obligated to take care of another adult.  

Your problem is your laziness and that can be changed by conscious effort.You should as your parents wish  continue your education so that you can get  a job paying reasonable salary or try for a job now itself based on your     educational level and extent  to them   financial support ..No guy /nice or otherwise anywhere in the world will marry   you if you are lazy ..God has given you hands not for eating alone.I don't think your parents threatening is an abuse but a way to  get rid of your laziness as fast as possible

If warning children the realities of adulthood is abuse, yes.  

Nope, they can legally kick you out once you become an adult. If I was a little younger, I would tell you that I am looking for a live- in maid. lol

They aren't threatening you.  

They are simply informing you in advance that your choices will have specific consequences.   This is helpful to you because it allows you to make an INFORMED decision.

What happens when you turn 18 will be a direct result of the choices you make so choose wisely.

I wouldn't just kick you out. For your 18th birthday I'd purchase you a one-way bus ticket to anywhere.