What is your feeling about transsexuals?

I think that for many of us there's a duty to transition in order to be more socially useful.  As far as presentation's concerned, that's generally a bandaid because the stereotypes are out there.  It's a physical condition with psychiatric sequelae.  We need specific rights such as lack of prejudice in employment because without those we can't serve society as well as we would do otherwise.  Trans women retain male privilege when we transition - for instance, work experience hasn't suffered from the glass ceiling and we may have earned more than if our gender identity had been acknowledged from birth.  But we are women and trans men are men.  We can only be feminist allies, not feminists, because of our retention of male privilege, but trans men can be because they have lived experience of being perceived as female in their formative years.

• Ann

I think trans people have very difficult lives.  Here in Dallas, several Black trans women have been murdered during the past year  by Black men, who claimed they were "less than human" and therefore needed to be destroyed.  Trans people also are often  the victims of violent abuse.  In the public schools here, trans teens are segregated into special classes in order to protect them from being bullied.  If I had a trans child, I would worry about that child's physical well-being.

• reme_1

My feeling is that they got a shitty deal being born in the wrong body. They have to go thru so much to live any kind of life with acceptance. When I think of my coming out as a lesbian- even back in the 70s-my life was a piece of cake compared to a transgendered person.

Definitely not normal/cisgender, and should be seen for what it is, autogynephilicism. However that isn't to say that they have contributed to the acceptance of being gay and being able to express your emotions, so that's why i shouldn't be shitting on them that much either.

• They are very odd so I tend to stay away from them.

I like them as I am one myself.

• Sky

Positive.  They're just people not much different from you or me, making their way through life the best they can like everyone else.  I also feel a lot of compassion and empathy for them having to deal with a society filled with ignorant prejudiced bigots who disrespect, mistreat, and abuse them so badly.

We are all God's children.

He created everyone just the way they are, including all LGBT+ people.

Its a uncommon experience.  Today in my retirement years I have only even had dealings with a half dozen such people although we do have a trans person as an extended family member.

While I personally have no issue,  I dont know many trans people.  Which says its not the big issue that some like to make it.

As a family member of someone who IS transgender, all I can say is that they are NOT mentally ill. Being transgender is not a choice, trust me. And it's not a phase. Many of my sisters and girl cousins were not girly girls. In fact, many of us were tomboys. Were we transgender? Not at all. But, I have a little brother who does happen to be trans and he knew from a very young age that he was in the wrong body. I was too young to remember exactly what happened, because it was a very rough time for our family. Constant temper tantrums about everything. Refusing to wear anything girly or pink. Insisting he was a boy and cutting his hair and threatening to run away. AT THE AGE OF 4. Yeah, phases END, but this one was showing no signs of ending. And believe me, we all tried to believe it was just a really strong phase. I'm not going to go into too much detail but my parents were on different pages as to whether let him transition or not. And by transition, I just mean, let him present himself as a boy. And they didn't make this decision alone - they got professional help. It was difficult to change names and pronouns and all that, but he was MUCH happier. He was a completely different person. Still is happy today and doing really well :)). He is most definitely a boy and has a great group of friends. His brain matches those of other boys. He was never a girl. There is a difference between gender and sex. If you met my brother you would never even know he was a girl. Lastly, there is NOTHING wrong with being a tomboy or liking to wear your hair short or wearing boys clothes but still identifying as a girl. But it's how your heart feels that matters. Deep down, we all know who we are. 

I am so tired of transphobic people. Luckily my brother continues to change people's views on transgender people. I suggest you be more open minded and try to put yourself in someone else's shoes. If you can't relate to being trans, then you sure as heck should not make assumptions about them.