How long to soak split peas for my first  attempt at pea soup ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

soak em! the toxic enzymes are realeased and dumped into the sink when you drain them. i work in a kitchen and both vegan and meat eating executive chefs said soaking them over night is key for healthy digestion and avoids stomach aches. we soak rice, nuts, beans, and legumes. very essential to soak em! 

Source(s): worked at high end vegan and meat eating restaurants. trained chef for 5 years. love to learn about nutrition so this is where i got my information :)
  • 4 weeks ago

You don't need to, just put in the pot and cover with water about an inch over the peas and boil. I add black pepper, salt, 2 bay leaves and boil until the peas break down and the soup start to get creamy. This is when I add diced potatoes and very thin sliced carrots until tender. The soup will thicken and just add more water to your liking. Enjoy!!!

• 1 month ago

no need to soak them they cook fairly fast and will breakdown easily. 

"secret ingredient for pea soup is a nice pinch of Marjoram" that's what my husband told me his mom always put in split pea soup.  (and only yellow split peas, leftover green pea soup looks a bit drab, yellow looks nice)

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

over night in water , then drain it the next day , likes mushy peas or with a meat pie ..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It really isn't necessary to soak the peas, but it does reduce the cooking time by 1-2 hours. I have done it both ways with no difference in the final product.  I prefer to soak overnight, to reduce prep time.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Split peas usually do not require Soaking-but it depends on what recipe you are following. 

• 1 month ago

First time I made split pea, my recipe did not call for it. It did take about two hours from start to finish, though. Up to you and the recipe you choose. 

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You don't have to soak split peas or lentils at all.  But for other kinds of legumes, overnight.

• 1 month ago

As long as your recipe says to.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Soaking isn't entirely necessary. Split peas cook relatively quickly. Unsoaked peas take from 1 to 2 hours of simmering; soaked peas take about 40 minutes. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.