Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Are teachers allowed to do this?

*Not complaining or whining about anything, just curious:

So today in my maths test I had to use the bathroom. My math teacher told me to leave my phone on the desk. When I returned, the phone was gone.

I was too focused on doing the test that I actually forgot about my phone, and when I got home my friend was like BTW Mr. D took your phone when you were gone.

Are teachers legally allowed to take someone's phone without informing them and then forgetting to return it?

• donnie

Where you not supposed to have your phone out? For real either follow the rules or suffer the consequences 

Most teachers/schools have policies pretty well defined in the student handbooks or as part of the first day of class speech on expectations and whatnot. What are the policies about phones at your school? If your phone was out and is supposed to be kept in a bag or locker during class time, then the teacher was totally within rights to take it and it's the student's responsibility to make sure to get it back at the end of class. 

without knowing where you are, the general answer is yes.  Teacher acts as your parent in the school environment.