Supposing you had a binary choice between saving the life of a Christian or an Atheist? Who would you save? ?

The Christian will live on forever even if they die so does that it more morale to save the life of the Atheist?  The thing is, if the Atheist is at best going to oblivion when they die, does a few extra years/decades make much difference?  And also, the Christian will be a positive influence on the Earth because they will abide by the 10 commandments so would it be better to save the Christian? 

This is a curiously wonderful question; makes one stop and think.  Since Christians are not left without guidance, they can turn to God's word the Bible to get God's thoughts on the matter - no matter what that matter may be.

Galatians 6:10 came quickly to mind.  There, in the Christian Standard Bible translation, we read:  "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us work for the good of all, especially for those who belong to the household of faith."  The apostle Paul had only just spoken to the Galatians about reaping what you sow, God not one to be mocked, and so on.Certainly saving the life of a fellow human being (if it is in our power to do so), is working for the "good" of that human, yes?  Of course, we can also think of the second greatest commandment:  you must love your neighbor as yourself.  Now if in your scenario, this is truly, unmistakably a binary choice, and if I am undeniably aware that one is a true Christian and one is an atheist, would not Galatians 6:10 apply?  Should I not 'work good' especially toward those who belong to the household of faith?  There is no guarantee that the Christian (sheep) will remain such and there is no guarantee that the atheist (perceived goat) will remain such.  Ultimately, at the setting of the sun, when the demarcation is drawn with finality, no sheep will be lost and no goat will be saved, no matter what we personally do.  Matthew 25:32-46.

Hannah J Paul

• Phil M

If you need to decide who to save based on that, you are a sorry excuse for a human being. I pity you.

• WOOWHO

how is one using the word SAVED  and the word LIFE

to have the SAME  understanding of the terms

LIFE   is the characteristics that DISTINGUISHES the PHYSICAL  entities that have biological processes , such as signaling and self sustaining  processes , from those  that  do not,  either because  such FUNCTIONS  have ceased ( died )  or because  they never had  such functions and are  classified as INANIMATE

SAVED ..1- ...to set aside  , stored or preserved for later

2- RESCUE  from DANGER  or possible harm injury or loss  to KEEP SAFE  INTACT or UNHURT  to safe guard

3- to STOP a person from being KILLED 

KILLED 1- the ACT of causing DEATH  , especially deliberately ( noun )  KILLED 1- causing DEATH  ( adjective )  

BOB drinking BLEACH  can CAUSE his DEATH 

JANE  hitting  BOB  with her car  can cause  Bob's  DEATH

DEATH  the PERMANENT  cessation of all biological  function that SUSTAINS a LIVING organism , the REMAINS  of a living organism  begins to DECOMPOSE shortly after death  , it is an INEVITABLE  process  eventually  occurring  in all living organisms

the question may   be asking WHO the INDIVIDUAL VALUES  related to  certain PROPOSITIONS , PROPOSALS   in the THEIST a supernatural god proposition  and   the atheist NOT accepting  a god proposition .

.... does holding  a supernatural  proposition  DEMONSTRATE   the proposition  "IS THE CASE "  JUSTIFIED or  VALIDATED .... no so if two people are DROWNING  I am NOT going to CALL out HEY which  of you are a THEIST and which are an atheist  NO i am going to   quickly evaluate  which person i can reach ....fastest

.. both person  most likely have OTHER PEOPLE who VALUE them and love them  and  the contribute  to that family

think about this the EARLY  CHURCH  STOPPED promoting MARTYRDOM the word is from GREEK  MARTY means WITNESS  in Greek

a BLOOD SACRIFICE  a person who had to DIE for CHRIST

if your followers  die for the  promoted idea  after a while you have NO followers

• Aaron

many people will be caught up in a dilemma ,

• Phil

The atheist.  He or she believes they only have one life and appreciate life for what little time they are allotted to their life.

Christians believe they get to be resurrected and get to keep on living forever.  So they are lucky in the fact that if they die, they get to live forever.

So save the one that will appreciate it more. And not be mad at you for saving them from eternal life.

• Paul

Every human life is of equal value. I would save the person I would have the best chance of saving. No-one goes to "oblivion". Human beings are created eternal. Our bodies will die, but we will not. So we better give some serious attention to where we will be going next.

Theism/atheism would not factor into my decision, so all other things being equal, there is no 'right' choice.

• ?

Since God does not reveal the identity of the elect, I have no idea whose is a Christian.  I would save the one I could reach first and then do my best to save the other one.  I would hope that I would not think about what they believe in an emergency situation and simply try to save them both to the best of my ability.

If you believe in Christianity, it would surely be better to save the life of the atheist. If the Christian is going to live forever in heaven, you are doing him a favour by letting him go there a bit sooner, whereas you are giving the atheist extra time in a finite lifetime, time in which he could possibly convert to Christianity.

However, as I do not believe in Christianity, nothing like that would be a factor for me. I would probably save the one who I thought I had the best chance of saving, or who would live a longer life. If everything else was equal, I suppose I might save the atheist, because they would not base their morality on ancient superstition, but I doubt I would really have time to consider such factors.

• Cogito

I'd make my decision based on virtually everything BUT their religion/lack of religion.  What matters is kindness, honesty, personality, their obligations to family and friends, etc.