takkk
takkk asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Native English speakers: Is "I'm 23 tomorrow" okay?

I think (a) is usually used, but (b) sounds awkward. What do you think? Is (b) also okay?

(a) Tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be 23 tomorrow.

(b) Tomorrow is my birthday. I'm 23 tomorrow.

If both are okay, do you feel any difference between them?

Thank you. I'd appreciate your feedback.

You are correct, (a) should be used.  "I am" is present tense, but "tomorrow" is obviously in the future. So "I am" and "tomorrow" don't go together.

This should not be confused with using the present progressive tense of a verb to indicate a future action, which is common. For example "We're flying to Tahiti next week", or "Tonight we're eating dinner at my aunt's house".  This is not the same as (b) in your example.

*Note:  this doesn't mean you'd never hear someone say "I'm 23 tomorrow".  Native speakers take short-cuts, and even make mistakes (this reflects poorly on the education system in the US).  But I'm advising how to speak standard English, properly.

• Cogito

I can't imagine that anyone would actually say either.

Most people would say, "I'm going to be 23 tomorrow," or "I'll be 23 tomorrow," or "Tomorrow's my 23rd birthday."

(A) is the form to use, as a two-sentence expression.

You could use simply: "I'm 23 tomorrow" or: "I'll be 23 tomorrow" on their own, without the first sentence.