Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

My mom chased my dad around the house with a knife?

I'm 18, and I'm a senior in high school. My parents work from home now because of covid 19. Earlier today, I hear yelling in the living room from my parents. I was doing my homework and stopped to go and see what was going on. My dad was telling my mom to "stop" while she had a kitchen knife in her hand following him around the living room. And my mom was yelling and cussing at him. I yelled at my mom to stop as well, especially my dad was able to get the knife from her, and held her down. My dad didn't even call the police.

i wouldve called the police on her

• T J

Maybe its time to talk to Dad about this. Let him explain, you are not a baby anymore, you are a adult and you have a good concern for them. Tell him, you were very tempted to call the police, that you were afraid for his safety. Let him know how this has also effected you also. You are a adult now, but you are also their son. If things are so bad, that she came at him with a knife, maybe they need to divorce.

This is your father's responsibility - not yours - but your mother needs medical help if she's running around with a knife.  Discuss it with your dad first and tell him your worries and fears.

I think you should call the police next time.

Yep, that's what Covid is doing to people, breaking up couples who spend too much time together through no fault of their own. It's driving many nuts. I hope you and your dad talked to your mother about it. Whether she was serious or not, she needs to know never to do it again. 

Bored much?  Stories like this one are ridiculous because any normal person who sees a parent running around with a knife would instantly be on the phone with 911 getting help.  Instead you insist that you did nothing more than stand and yell stop?!  Then you just stand by and watch your father assault your mom? It doesn't really sound logical at all.