Anonymous

My parents want me to attend college, but I don't want to?

There's a lot of well-paying jobs that don't require a college degree, but my parents are stuck on this mindset that you need to attend college to get a job. I tried convincing them but they won't listen. I'm 18 and in 12th grade.

• Mary

The funny thing is that most kids that attend college dont even work at the subject they studied. Most people dont know what they want to do as a career until they reach about 25

• April

As soon as you graduate high school, stop thinking and start doing. Make sure you've done the proper research and plan to break in whatever industry you choose. If your parents think you have a well-thought plan, it'll get them off your back. Your parents are telling you to do something productive with your life, not necessarily go to college. (They don't feel like supporting an unemployed teenager.) Take charge of your own life.

What's your alternative plan then? Have you talked to them about it?  Do you want to attend a trade school or do you have a job in mind you'd like to do that doesn't require a college degree? This isn't just about getting your parents off your back--it's about a viable alternative to college. I don't think anyone who does NOT want a college degre should be forced to go to school--because you're right--not every good-paying job requires that degree. But you have to be pretty clear about what job you DO want or what career you ARE willing to pursue. A well-reasoned argument not only gets you what you want, it's going to save your parents a lot of money in the long run and keeps you out of a huge debt later on. 

You need to present them with a plan. 

You're (presumably) an adult now. "I don't wanna" is not a good look for anyone. 

So, not "I don't want to go to college" but "I want to be a [blank] and this is how I intend to achieve it  . . . "

It doesn't matter whether there are a lot of jobs out there that don't require a degree, if you decide to spend your life sleeping in your parents' basement and do nothing to go and get one, which is (probably) their fear. 

"I want to become an elevator installer. I went to the union hall and got information about a paid apprenticeship. I will start as soon as I graduate from high school."

or

"I want to become a police officer. I can apply to the academy as soon as I graduate from high school."

etc.

That said, if they're paying for college, it would be a good idea to take advantage of that. You can become an elevator installer or a police officer with a college degree as well as without, and the degree will be an advantage in the long run. 

My parents grew up in a third-world country so naturally they preferred if we had a college degree because in third-world countries, these are necessary for a well-paying job that will lift a person out of poverty. I think if you show your parents that you have a plan and that you'll be able to sustain yourself with your chosen career pathway, you'll be able to convince them that a college degree is not necessary to get a job. There are so many jobs out there that do not require college degrees. You just have to do your own research and see what you'll like doing. At the end of the day, our parents only want what's best for us and they want to see us doing well especially when they're gone..

Interesting, do you have a question?

You forgot to tell us how do you plan on becoming a self-sufficient adult.

• Expat

You need either college or a skilled trade, which also requires schooling - carpentry, plumbing, welding, etc. You cannot hope to ever earn a livable wag3 without either an education or a skilled trade. College isn’t for everyone, but only a high school diploma will most likely get you on Welfare and broke most of your life. 

• John

In case your parents don't rethink their position, you should start making plans now regarding what you want to do when you graduate.  When parents are controlling, a young person sometimes just has to be prepared to go out on his own.

just dont go then