Betul asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

A word that describes that not every part of a religion is practiced?

I am trying to remember a word. It is a word that describes parts of a religion that is not practiced. For example, in Christianity or the Bible, it says not to where garments that mix two types of fabric but people do not follow this even if they are very religious Christians. What is the word describing this example?

• CF

'In Christianity or the Bible, it says not to where garments that mix two types of fabric but people do not follow this even if they are very religious Christians."

"For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness." - Romans 10:4.

Although that´s in the Bible, it was part of the Mosaic Law, abolished later by Jesus´sacrifice. The Mosaic Law was an agreement or pact solely with the Israelite nation. Christians are not under the Mosaic Law.

Leviticus 19:1-2, 19

"Jehovah spoke further to Moses, saying:  “Speak to the entire assembly of the ISRAELITES and tell them, ‘You should be holy, because I, Jehovah your God, am holy...“‘You should keep my statutes: You must not interbreed two sorts of your domestic animals. You must not sow your field with two sorts of seed, and you must not wear a garment made with two sorts of thread mixed together."  (Caps are mine)

The Encyclopaedia Judaica (Jerusalem, 1973, Vol. 14, col. 1213) adds: “The clothing of the priests was notably exempt from the prohibition of [sha·ʽat·nezʹ] [a garment of two sorts of thread, NW]. Exodus 28:6, 8, 15 and 39:29 prescribe that various pieces be made of linen and colored wool interwoven. . . . This suggests that the general prohibition was grounded on the taboo character of such a mixture, pertaining exclusively to the realm of the sacred.”

Ephesians 2:14-16

For he is our peace, the one who made the two groups one and destroyed the wall in between that fenced them off. By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace,  and to reconcile fully both peoples in one body to God through the torture stake...

John 1:17

Because the Law was given through Moses, the undeserved kindness and the truth came to be through Jesus Christ

Note spelling 'wear garments'.

Certainly I have never come across anybody in any Christian community in Britain or Australia who mentioned that idea of not wearing clothes made of different types of fabric.  Your question is the first I have heard of it, in over 70 years.

Sorry, I cannot think of a specific word for that idea.