My girlfriend just told me she contracted Herpes a few years although hasn't had symptoms since.. will I be OK?

Anyone else had Herpes? And if so what is it like?

I wish I never got in to that bad beaver

don’t worry herpes does not cause major health problems.it can actually lie dormant for years and over 2/3 of the population has it and doesn’t even know it so i wouldn’t stress it’s pretty common.but it is not curable so your girlfriend still has it even if she is not showing symptoms.i would recommend going to your doctor to make sure everything is ok.and if your girlfriend knew she had herpes you might want to consider taking legal actions because it is illegal to not disclose your sexual dieses to your partner.it is also morally wrong for countless reasons.

Dude buy her a razor if the beaver is so bad

Always use a condom, the herpes virus can be dormant but the person may still be infectious.

• Ann

Herpes isn't really curable, so you might check with your dr.  Just be sure you never have sex when she has a flareup.    You'd do well to use a condom to protect yourself.

Shouldn't you be concerned about HER health instead ? .....

• Seriously bad beaver... we're hopefully all adults here. 

Not every one that gets exposed to herpes contracts it or gets break outs. If she didn't have any signs or symptoms of a break out while you had sex, your chances of getting herpes are very small.

Initial break outs are usually the worst. You can get swollen genitals, flu like symptoms, itching, burning and or tingling symptoms, blisters or open paper cut like sores. Or you could just get some itching, with blisters or open paper cut like sores. every one that gets herpes has different experiences with break outs. 

If you think you may have contracted herpes, see a doctor and talk to them about getting tested for it.  

There’s 2 types of herpes. Each type has similar symptoms and is spread the same way. Type 1 is typically found on the mouth. It is the virus that causes cold sores. Supposedly about 80-95% of people have this virus, but most never get the sores. It can be spread to the mouth by kissing or genitals by oral sex though. Type 2 is typically genital herpes. It usually causes painful sores, and the outbreaks return frequently. Both types of herpes are spread by skin contact where the sores are or have been in the past. A person does not have to have sores to be contagious, but it’s far more likely when the sores are present.

I got type 1 herpes on the genitals. I got it from a guy who gave me oral sex. He did not have any sores (he said he never had one in his life). I got one outbreak in the beginning, and I haven’t had one since. Type 1 often doesn’t come back at all. As far as I know, nobody has ever been infected by me. I am not on medication for it either.

There are meds that can stop an infected person from being contagious. If your gf is taking the meds, she probably isn’t contagious. Unfortunately, condoms don’t do much to protect against herpes. The sores are typically in places that a condom won’t protect you from. 

may be. Some people do "grown out" of herpes outbreaks, but be prudent and cautious.