Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Can I inflate one tire to 45 psi while other 3 are in recommended pressure?

I brought brand new 4 tires 3 months ago but my front right tire is deflating quickly the pressure reads 20 psi while other 3 are in same pressure 32 psi, although it doesn't have puncture. 

• Phil M

You could. But it would be better to get the leak fixed. There is probably some kind of "road hazard" warranty, so the repair would be free. Continuing to drive the car will void any warranty and damage the tire. Without warranty the repair should cost less than twenty bucks. A replacement tire is considerably more.

I'm sensing troll - but just in case.

If it is 'deflating quickly' you don't put more air in it - you find out why it is deflating.

You say it 'doesn't have a puncture', but I doubt you've actually verified this - sometimes a puncture is really obvious - because you'll have visible damage, other times you can see the nail/screw/piece of metal sticking out of the tire a little bit - but sometimes a small nail can get in, the head wears off, and you can't see it unless you take the tire off, and sometimes not even then - requiring putting it into a tub of water to see the air bubbles.

If you are right, and there is no puncture, the next things to check are the wheel/rim itself - to see if there is any damage that is preventing the tire from seating properly (again, the wheel will have to come off the car, so you can see both sides).  If this looks good, then the next thing to check is the valve, which can be faulty - or installed improperly.

One way of figuring it out relatively quickly would be to take it to the place that put them on (I don't know if it's been leaking the whole time, or just happened recently - if it's been the whole time, then it may be something they did - but if it happened recently, my money is on a puncture).

Either way, they can look at it for you and quote you to fix it.  If it is just a puncture, you can fix it yourself with a cheap t-handle kit and plugs (or you can pay them a few bucks to do it).

Worst case -  it could be a defective tire that won't seat on the wheel/rim properly, or it was damaged when they installed it incorrectly.

Good luck!

Go ahead... ITS YOUR TIRE...

Assuming the tire doesn't burst, it is physically possible.

It is STUPID, by that doesn't mean you can't do it.

If your tire is losing air, take it back to the tire shop and have them check the seal to the rim, and the valve stem.

Don't drive on the road I'm on.. That's a good way to have tire failure.. Too much pressure or too little pressure.. 

Yes you can- but it does not solve the problem and causes two more:

1. The tire will not wear right, the center of the tread will get to to lower limits of tire wear faster then the other tires will. So you will have to replace that one tire sooner. That is if you don't blow  it out because it got under pressure while driving.

2. The car will not handle symmetrically it will not grip the same when cornering, it will ride harder and it will also break differently, making the car squirrelly in emergency situations.

So spending money to get the leak stopped is the right thing to do. It is cheaper then a new tire and a bunch safer.

Go back to where you bought the tires and tell them the rim is leaking and they should have used bead sealer. They should fix it for free!

I also have a slow leaker that no shop can find (probably a porous mag wheel) . . . so I pump it up 2 or 3 pounds more than the others which will carry me for 2 or 3 weeks.

But don't inflate one a LOT more than the other on the same axle:  it will affect handling and braking.

added:  Thumbsdowns from experts who are probably too young to drive.  Morons.

Take it to a tire repair shop.  It could be a leaking valve, bad seal or damaged rim.  Do not overinflate.

The smart thing would be to go to the store you bought the tires at, and get them to fix the leaky one under warranty.