Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

PET RAT HELP ?

What are some fruits and veggies that my pet rat can safely eat?

also, can they eat bell peppers?

• ?

Anything except the following, as all are toxic and should be avoided-

-Avocado

-Dried beans

-Citrus fruits

-Mango

-Raw sweet potato

-Poppy seeds

-Raw cabbage

-Raw brussel sprouts

-Raw peanuts

-Rhubarb, ALL if it, stalk and leaves

Other than these, rats can have anything. I would say to also limit raisins and cherries, as those in high amounts can cause kidney failure and sudden death, but a little tiny bit won't do anything. One of my rats loved it when I froze peas and carrots in ice cubes and put those in water for her to munch on and eat. Another rat couldn't get enough of blueberries and apples; I would be snacking on some and she would catch me so I let her out and she would stuff 3 berries in her mouth, steal the apple slice I was eating, or try and grab the whole apple and eat chunks of it as I was eating, and run back in her cage. 

Its easier to go over what they cant eat. Mrs Frankenstein is mostly correct. That list is all over the internet but its not the most accurate. 

The meat of an avocado is safe. The skin and pit are toxic. Avocado is high in fat so it should be fed sparingly but its safe for them to eat. Citrus and mango can cause kidney damage/cancer in male rats but is safe for female rats. Raw cabbage and brussel sprouts can cause a thiamine deficiency due to "antinutrients" but its ok if fed in moderation. A small amount occasionally is fine. Everything else on the list is best avoided. Raw onions should be limited as they can cause anemia in large amounts and an upset stomach. No hot peppers for obvious reasons. No green bananas. Not toxic but hard to digest. No apple seeds or plum/apricot stones. They contain something that turns into cyanide in their stomachs. Some safe fruits and veggies include apple, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, spinach, kale, bok choy, collard greens, basil, celery, cilantro, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, all kinds of squash, beets, asparagus, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, mushrooms, peas, all kinds of lettuce, bell pepper, pears, cooked potatoes/sweet potatoes and avocado. This is not a full list. Just what I can think off off the top of my head.