How to read a book a day ?

Hello everyone, I think that if you love reading, it will not be difficult to finish one book in let’s say a couple of days. It usually takes me this amount of time to complete one novel. I am currently reading ‘The Sins of the Father’ by Jeffrey Archer which I started yesterday. I am already halfway through it.  

Stick to eight-pagers. Lots of dirty pictures and few words.

Set aside time to read daily and choose short books.

Its better not to make reading into a chore.  Just enjoy what you want at your own speed and put a bookmark where you left-off.  Then, read some more later.  

Start with short stories or novellas.  Don't attempt War and Peace. With practice your reading speed will increase and you will find you can easily read a standard paperback in a day.  But then I think it was Enda O'Brien who said that she likes to read slowly - if writers have taken trouble over choosing their words, she feels it is only right to take the same sort of trouble over reading them. Whatever, always have a good dictionary to hand, so that you can check unfamiliar words, that helps to expand your vocabulary.

• Andrew

Well, what I I tend to do is this... First, I open the book. Then I begin passing my eyes over the text - word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, page by page, until I reach the end. And if I manage to get from cover to cover within the same 24-hour period, I've read that book in a day. Now I'm no authority on this, and if you've got a better way of doing it, I'd love to hear about it, but this is a tactic that works for me.   

• Zac Z

That's going to be tough.

Obviously, a "book" doesn't say much about the time you'll need to read it. It'll be feasible to read "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" in a day even if you're not a fast reader and only have little time, but I doubt that even a very fast reader would be able to read James Clavell's "Shōgun" or Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace" in a day.

So, if your aim is simply to read one book in a day, you'll wanna choose a book with as little text as possible. I'll recommend "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", or if you're feeling daring, "The Little Prince".

If, however, you're talking about "normal" books, i.e. novels with 300-400 pages, you'll need to do several things, ideally all at once:- set aside as many hours in the day for reading as possible; that means, get off the internet and read rather than asking about how to read more

- read often so you'll get practice reading and consequently will increase your personal reading speed

- eliminate all distractions in order to focus on the book; no checking your phone, no internet, of course, but also none of the other stuff that would be distracting to you; nonetheless, you'll probably have to force yourself at first to stay focused and not get distracted

- lastly, you'll be able to immerse yourself much better in the book (and thus read with more concentration and most likely faster) if you LIKE what you're reading; so you'll want to choose genres and topics that draw you in rather than bore you

okay, so choose a 10 page "book" and read that... in less than 5 minutes it's a done deal... 

• Dv8s

One word at a time.