Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 month ago

Is programming something for gifted geniuses or for anyone who is willing to put in the effort and work to learn and understand it?

• Lv 7

it is literally the same as learning another language. you are learning to talk to computers. to tell them what to do in their language.

I failed programming in high school. Counters and accumulators were above my understanding.  I took an interest in it later in life and I do alright with it professionally.  I'm not super mathy either.

Almost anyone can do it on some level, in some fashion, especially if you select a language and tool that are considered easier than others.  Also, for games, there are 'no code' and 'minimal code' engines you can get, many of them free.  Maybe a person wouldn't get good enough to work for someone else, but they can always make their own software, although there will be some who aren't cut out for it at all just the same as any other field.  

Here's a starter page and you can search for more:  https://youprogrammer.com/best-programming-languag...

anyone who is willing to put in the effort to understand it.  It does help if you understand basic maths - most programming can be done with very basic maths and understanding basic boolean.  

All computers work on one very basic system - they all only know two states - 1 or 0, true or false.  Even the most complex computer program all goes down to just turning switches on or off (binary) to force the computer to follow a certain path rather than another path.

• EddieJ

Not every program has to be as good as the programming that is needed for a spacecraft. 

I don't think it takes a genius to write a program that can calculate the area of a rectangle, but if someone can't even do that calculation by hand, then they feel overwhelmed when they are asked to write the program for a homework assignment.

So, they come onto this forum and ask us for "help", which is their word for "do my assignment for me".  So, Anonymous, you tell me -- are they idiots or just trolls? 

Anyone can do it, takes about 10 years to get good at it if you're average.

You certainly don't need to be a genius to be a programmer. People who are very able design systems.