Can you help me create a few temporary compound adjectives using the word self and what's the grammar rule for creating it ?

1 Answer

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Temporary compound adjective iirc with self would be basically hyphenating a preexisting adjective with self as a prefix.

    So basically stuff like "self-ameliorative" "self-affluent" "self-indignant" "self-deprecative". You see this a lot in classical literature (like Shakespeare) where temporary compounds are usually created on a whim to suit a writer's need for a particular moment. 

    The rule is there are three types of compounds:

    Open: (ice cream)

    Hyphenated (ice-cold) hyphen is - 

    Closed: (sledgehammer) two words joined to form one

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.