Stilty
Stilty asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 month ago

Arsenal just aren't very good anymore are they?

Their latest loss is barely even news these days is it? Everyone is bored of it, not even worth bantering about. 

Ryan, your answers are too long. Big YAWN 

• Ryan

No they aren't. I've said many times on here I do not rate Arteta at all and I will stand by that. Yes he won an FA Cup, fantastic great winning major trophies is brilliant. Okay he only had half a season so they only ended up finishing 8th, Jose Mourinho took charge of Spurs a month before Arteta went to Arsenal and his side finished 6th, so not too bad considering the state of the club when Arteta arrived. But the media and arsenal fans act as if just because this guy sat next to Pep Guardiola for 3 years it makes him a brilliant manager. Arsenal fans and the media are literally celebrating Arteta winning just the FA Cup when that's part of the reason they wanted Wenger out. Arsenal have had the same problems for probably we'll say ten years now. Look Arteta might be a good manager. Emery is a good manager he was decent at Arsenal, brilliant at Sevilla, looks good at Villareal at the minute, but the players let him down at Arsenal as did the tight Arsenal owner. The same can be said of Arteta. I guess maybe it's not that I don't rate Arteta as such but he hasn't much to work with at Arsenal. On paper their transfer activity this season was good but I haven't seen any improvement on last season. In the league they've faced 3 teams who have finished above them this season (Liverpool, Man City, Leicester) and they lost all three games. They looked crap vs Rapid Wien in Europe as well struggled to a 2-1 win there. They should beat Dundalk easily on Thursday, really they should rest their best 11 for the United game. Because they lost 3 times in the 3 league games they faced opposition who finished higher than them last season, the United game is massive. If they lose 4 of their biggest games so far this season they will likely be in for more of the same and finish probably around 6th place in the league

What time are you comparing them to? 1998-2006 then I fully agree, 2006-2014 then I partially agree, 2014-2019 then I disagree/agree. You could probably say they're better than they say the team: early 2018 when we lost Sanchez, Giroud, and Walcott and got beaten at Nottingham in the cup. I would overall agree but as a team, they are better then when Emery left. Also the competition is so much better, teams like Leicester now didn't exist before and the quality has overall improved on every level to a level when anyone can compete.