Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Would you choose pets over having kids? ?

Like getting a pet(s) and making them your 'child'? It seems more and more people are choosing to go child-free and getting pets in replacement for children. 

• My life turned out such that I don't have kids.I love animals,and foster dogs and cats throughout the year.I think it suits me fine.So unintentionally,but yes that's what I've done.

No i love kids, do you?

• john

I have 3 (now adult) children and 5 grandchildren, plus I have owned and loved dogs for the past 40+ years.  If I had to choose, I'd choose having children over having a pet.

BUT bear in mind that I owned a dog for 4 years before having my first child.  Family teased me about doting over my dog, and I suppose that I did.  But I always wanted to have children.  I still would have put having children first.

The people who choose to go 'child-free'?  I don't think they're getting pets as a "replacement" for children.  I think that they simply don't want to have children and do want to have a pet.  In other words, they aren't substituting one for the other.

• Amber

I'm definitely not a kid lover but I do love animals. But I do't treat then like they are my child, I don't go that far. I love them as a companion, but I'm not a maternal woman and it always makes me cringe when I see animals being treated as babies. 

I have pets and will never have kids. I don't see them as a replacement though and I don't think most people do. I don't get pets because of a lack of kids. I get pets because I love having pets around. Its not a one or the other thing. Plenty of people have both or neither. 

Pets are never mistaken for human children, however some people do go overboard and pamper their pets more than they do their own children.... that’s called ignorance.

Some people will spoil their pets rotten and insist on taking them everywhere they go weather the place accepts pets or not.  They ignore the rules and rights of others.  They ignore local rules and health regulations, again this is called ignorance.

People have a need to nurture, pets fill that need as they never grow up, won’t move out on their own, are not demanding of their ‘parents’ and expect nothing but the basics of food, shelter and affection.  They have done studies on pet owners and something as simple as fish in a tank have been shown to relax the owner and lower their blood pressure and heart rate,  it relaxes and soothes them.

Human children learn, become independent, are able to express their needs verbally with actions and or speech, pet ‘kids’ never reach this goal and the nurture need is fulfilled by people caring for the pet.

There are all sorts of people out in this world.  It’s not rocket science to have children, but it does take a stable nurturing home to raise a child.  It does not take a stable nurturing home to have a pet but it is highly recommended.  People do need to be home and have some sort of schedule to have a human child,  They cannot travel and not be home for extended periods of time. That’s what the draw of a pet over a choice is for many people.  They can simply board the pet, have friends watch them or possibly take them with.  No matter the reason when things are not working out they people can surrender the pet and then when their lives settle down and they are better organized for it they may get another pet.

Ignorant people choose kids intelligent people choose pets 

Yeh I  love animals they are cute & funny on other hand kids start to tear your a$s since day 1. 

They come in painful dirty way 

They are ugly DISGUSTING & 

They are expensive 

• Rick

nope ..........................................