What can I do if I cant use a dehumidifier when it's too cold in the room for the winter but the basement really needs it?

The basement is non insulated but it's really sticky and smelly down there

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Buy a more expensive unit that has defrost cycles. The only other option is to heat the basement or put an exhaust fan in a window with fresh air coming in a window on the other side of the basement. This will help control mold.  Also, get a humidistat and keep the level below 50%. For the short term solution, place an electric space heater behind the coils of the dehumidifier to prevent freezing up while running. 

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What? A dehumidifier creates a significant amount of heat when it runs. I don't understand why or what is too cold for a dehumidifier. Colder air tends to contain less moisture in it anyways, so it's not like you need one when it's 35 degrees in a room.

Buy a hygrometer or two so you know what the humidity levels are, not just guessing. Above 60 or so readings, turn on the dehumidifier. If you need the basement closer to 50 then set it for that.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The dehumidifier won't make the room colder.  It may make the room FEEL a bit colder because drier air feels cooler than wetter air at the same temperature.  But running the dehumidifier, because it isn't 100% efficient, will actually make the space a tiny bit warmer.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like you may need a dehumidifier in the basement. There is no reason why you couldn’t use one during the winter or if it cold in the basement. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

you dehumidifier should work as long as the temp is over freezing down there

• 1 month ago

You CAN use a dehumidifier in a cold room. Actually, heating the room without adding humidity decreases the relative humidity.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.