Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

How can people stand the taste of red wine?

I picked up an $8 bottle of red wine and it was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted in my life. I don't know how people genuinely enjoy this stuff, or alcohol in general. Is it because my diet consists of nothing bitter? I'm thinking this might be the real issue as to why my taste buds did not react positively. 

For reference, it was like sticking my tongue on a 9 volt battery 

That reminds me of "Indians always walk in single file. At least the one I saw did." You can't make a judgement on all red wines on the basis of a single bottle. When you are old enough, try going to a tasting to get a broader appreciation for the range. In the meantime, you might like something like a concord wine.

Why did I add the "When you are old enough" bit? Our liking for different tastes develops slowly as we age. Infants like sweet tastes and sour tastes come later. Then comes salty and a liking for bitterness comes last..

BTW, how do you know what sticking your tongue onto a 9V battery tastes like?

They obviously can stand the taste!

you probably bought 'merlot' which tastes like it came from the bottom of a chinese restaurant dumpster. any other kind of wine is not that bad.

What experience do you have sticking your tongue on a 9 volt battery ?

• kswck2

Never like wine. I DO cook with it, just can't drink it. 

• God

Red wine is an acquired taste.  The only wine I liked when I first started drinking wine was sweet, white German wines.  I later began appreciating full bodied red wines. 

There are many different kinds of red wine.  Depending on where you are buying it, an $8 bottle could taste like kerosene or it could taste very good.  If your palate is not mature yet, perhaps you are not ready for a good Merlot.  Try a white zinfandel.  But if you really hate alcohol, don't force yourself.

• CB

Stick with skittles, your taste buds haven't matured enough or dulled enough (however you want to look at it). Like mentioned a sweeter white wine would be better but I would bet you wouldn't care for that as much as you would for apple juice.

An $8 bottle or red dry wine will not be very enjoyable (there are some that are but few) if you want to try a nice dry red with low tannins and some fruitiness Wente Cab Sav, south hills, should be able to find it for around $20. 

• Barry

You just bought a dry wine. Try a German white wine such as Hock, Liebfraumilch or Riesling. These go well with most meals and should be in most supermarkets. Just check the label as you need a medium sweet version.

• Goerge

Tannin is probably your arch nemesis in the culinary world. It's the bitter and astringent agent responsible for that most bitter thing response.