df
df asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

How to catch misspellings if I spell a different word than I intended, thus making spell check not able to pick it up?

I suppose reading what youve written is not an option?

Spell Checker is not the best.!!! 

The words 'to' , 'too', & 'two' all come to mind.  They are all legitimate words in the English language, so a 'Spell Checker' would not find fault with them . 

e.g. There are one hundred and to people, this makes it to two many'. is in correct. 

It should read 'There are one hundred and two people, this makes it two too many.' 

However a spell checker would not pick this up . 

Your correspondent 'Armourer'. quotes 'Bismark. & Sharnhorst'. These are both German proper nouns and should be spelt as ''Bismarck'' & ' Scharnhorst'.  Note the inclusion of the letter 'c'. 

Run it over something like Grammarly

I use 2 spell Checkers Both in English/English  and neither can spell certain words

Like Bismark, Sharnorst

PROOFREAD what you write!!

Turn off spell checker and write. Always proofread your own work, more than once.

You are far better at choosing your words than a disembodied algorithm.

Impossible, except by looking through what you have written - which you should do anyway.

And what about words such as:  cite;   sight;   site? Or (frequent errors on this site):  they're;  there;  their?  The spell checker recognises all of them, but does not analyse them grammatically.

you re-read your material before pushing 'send'

i can't bear

i can't bare

fare is not fair

fairs are never fair

cite sighted site as green

well even editors can not fathom such what is being said

while normal people will know what is being conveyed.

• VP

Try using an app like 'Grammarly'.  I use it and it helps catch spelling and grammatical errors.  Check it out at grammarly.com.