Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 1 month ago

Have you ever been to Northumberland? Did you see Hadrian’s Wall? What towns are worth visiting? Things to do etc?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ray
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Northumberland is famous for its castles, great expanses of sandy beaches, its rural countryside and big skies.

Here are some suggestions for visits:

Alnmouth and Alnwick Castle

Lindisfarne (check tidal conditions)

Bamburgh Castle

Northumberland National Park for Kielder Water and dark skies

Cragside House

Craster for smoked kippers and Dunstanburgh Castle

Hadrian's Wall

Berwick-upon-Tweed

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Its close to where I live, so have been there many times. It’s a very scenic part of England with roiling moorland and great coastal scenery. 

There is of course Hadrian’s wall and many castles , best known being Alnwick castle due to some scenes from Harry Potter being filmed there. ( it is a fine castle but does NOT look like Hogwarts) . It is a bit of a tourist trap and expensive. Bamburgh castle is more spectacular with its coastal setting and it too has featured in several films.

There are few major towns , (Newcastle is just outside in Tyne and Wear though traditionally part of Northumberland. Pre-covid, it was a good place for a lively night out.), Berwick upon Tweed being the biggest with some nice parts in the old town.

There are great beaches the entire length of the coast, in fact it’s almost a one continuous beach for 50 or so miles.

• RR
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes. It's a lovely county. Hadrian's wall is worth seeing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Connor
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No, then I’d love to see it. I’ve been to nearby County Durham  

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  Put your hiking boots on.  You will enjoy Northumberland.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.