Goerge
Goerge asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Where do most of your recipes come from?

I like to keep mine varied and as such I've been eating only food suggested through Y!A for the last week. None of my own recipes but I have put my own personal twist on some of them. My grilled cheese normally doesn't have any tomatoes in it but it really is SO GOOD!. Eggs benedict hasn't been on the menu in YEARS but Y!A changed that. This little culinary adventure has been fun so far and I'm trying to keep this up for a month. 

I'm looking for the next place I should visit for some inspiration. Epicurious and allrecipes is NOT allowed. Been there way too often. Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Those who don't measure are also called dump cooks. The fortunate thing is that a handful is always a handful and when I do that I am eyeballing a measurement, such as a cup by its volume. Weird but effective when repeating those coveted dishes. It's odd in that you know what it it needs just by looking at it, feeling it and more importantly, by tasting it. Ew, you ate raw meatloaf. Yes, I did. 

I create most of them nowadays, now that I've found the way I like most things.  I never really 'followed' recipes but I have 20+ cookbooks I'd reference occasionally along with sometimes referencing the internet to see if there was precedence or any common traits for ideas I'd have.  If I got an outside-the-box idea but couldn't find any precedence for it anywhere, that was a good sign for me back away and rethink it.  Though I did sometimes still go far outside the box and come up with some totally new things.  If I wanted to make something that I had never made before, I would check the internet for pictures to see how it looks and is commonly served and then I'd skim over the top 4 or 5 recipes to see if there was anything unusual yet common to them which would mean it's a key to making it what it is... then I just apply what I know and do what I want with that in mind.  Now, at most, I just look at wikipedia for a list of ingredients and a brief description and go from there.  The story of how I learned to make bread is totally unique and one of a kind... but I didn't say it was good bread.   

reading cooking sites, watching cooking shows, word of mouth is where I often get ideas.

• I personally happen to love Epicurious, but my new favorite is Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/  It doesn't have a gazillion recipes, but it's all about technique and it explains a lot of things. I've had ridiculously good luck with their sous vide recipes and their ice cream recipes. Definitely the ice cream!

When I try a new recipe, I make a small batch in case I don't like it.  I follow the recipe the first time.  If I keep it, I can modify it later.

Cookbooks in various languages that I've collected over the years and websites like GialloZafferano https://www.giallozafferano.it/ricette-cat/

• kswck2

I subscribe to Mastercook. BUT, I have deleted all of their recipes and have substituted my own-each one I have personally made. My database is about 500 recipes and is synced to my cell phone, so I can call them up at any time. 

And then there is the 'Other cookbook'. That entails stuff I just make up on the spot. Like a chili for 500 (I also work in a soup kitchen), or 20 pork loins, rolled in mustard and bread crumbs and baked. But those recipes are necessarily rather vague-like 20 cups of onions or so, or 30 garlic cloves mashed-roughly. Or even a pork chop with some sort of spice mix I just made up. 

Some of my friends like dishes I just make up-but get annoyed that I cannot reproduce them exactly the next time, since I don't measure of write anything down. 

• God

I have lots of cookbooks.  The Food Network website has more recipes than I could ever try.

My best and favorite recipes are from my grandfather.  He was a chef. 

I add to my existing recipe collection by scanning the Food section of the paper for new ones that sound interesting, and by looking at AllRecipes.com, which allows users to rate recipes once they've tried them and to add notes about what they liked, didn't like, changed, etc.

Most of my "OMG That's Amazing" recipes, things nobody else makes, are from the paper. Weird.

• CB

Google search highly rated recipes - usually from allrecipes.com or food.com and a couple of bloggers (once upon a  chef). I definitely have go to recipes for many dishes from the above sources I have saved as docs and tweaked and when making something new I compare several of the same recipes and improvise. 

Sometimes the inspirations come from restaurant dishes (I will be making an apple/sausage quiche with hashbrown crust today - great for any meal). The one I shared with you for breakfast last week was from a B&B where we stayed in Queenstown NZ.