Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How do I cope with abusive parents?

[NOT A TROLL] My mom and my step dad have always had a few extremely violent fights per year. They started dating when I was around 7, and now 10 years later I sometimes find myself having to separate them or hide certain items in case they’re used for hitting or whipping. My mom is an emotional abuser and my dad is a physical/verbal abuser (when he’s really angry), they’re last fight my dad pinned my mom on the ground and yelled in her face and spit on her. He’s hit her and pushed her, and whipped her with items like pillows and seat cushions. And today he was kinda drunk and driving home with her and was being erratic and driving around the block to our street in circles yelling at her, she had to jump out of the car.. my little brother always sees these fights and so do I. I have ptsd over them fighting. It’s really traumatic for me and my mom when my dad gets aggressive and starts throwing and slamming or kicking doors, not to mention just how scary angry and violent men can be.

6 Answers

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    talk to the police about it

  • Good
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Everyone always wants to blame the man,

    totally ignoring all the poking, blaming, nagging,

    bitching, etc the woman does.  They need to

    leave each other before one of them ends up

    in jail, probably him, because men always get

    the blame no matter what.

    Get yourself out of there so you don't have to

    be a witness to the train wreck.  You know it's

    coming but you don't have to watch it.

    Hopefully, neither you or your brother grows up

    thinking this kind of life is normal, because it isn't.



  • 1 month ago

    I just don't understand why women don't leave the abusive spouse.  Why do they stay when they know they are being abused & to just sit back & allow a husband to abuse the children.  That is so wrong.  For the children's sake she should leave him & get out of his house.  You need to talk to someone who can help you get out of there.  I am so sorry you are stuck where you are, talk to an aunt, friends mother, teacher, counselor.

    You shouldn't have to accept this as a way of living.  You see the wrong & you do know that you don't have to keep it quite.  Tell someone.  Talk to your mom about leaving.

  • 1 month ago

    Maybe when they are not fighting you need to tell them that for the sake of your brother the next time you witness them fighting you will have no choice other than to call the police.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • T J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Time for someone to call the police when he starts to hit mom. Get him arrested, then a divorce. You mom is a fool to put up with this.

  • 1 month ago

    Call Childline or Victim Support.  They are professionals and know how to deal with situations like this.  It's damaging for you and your little brother.  Although they're abusing each other - they are also indirectly abusing you children of their partnership.  OK you are 17 so no longer a child but you have been damaged as your bro is presently being damaged.  You are not responsible for your mother although you will feel responsibility for her and also your little brother's safety.  It's too big an issue for a 17 year old to deal with.  Your conversation with Childline/Victim Support will be private and you can phone them anonymously if you prefer.  Try it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.