Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

What is a salad? ?

Salads can be vegetable or fruit, can have meat or fish/tuna/chicken in them, can be served warm like potato salad, or can even be made of pasta or jello. I havent heard any definition of a salad that includes all salads but excludes all non-salads. WHAT REALLY IS A SALAD? This has gotten me for years... like what does a caesar salad have in common with some celery jello thing or chopped up chicken in mayo with raisins? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

lettuce and other vegetables and dressing maybe with cheese

• 4 weeks ago

in general its a side or entree that is eaten cold. that pretty much covers any salad you can think of.

• 4 weeks ago

The definition of salad is food + dressing. Thus, even 2 ingredient salads are still salads (egg salad, tuna salad, etc). Dressings can be mayo based, oil based (antipasto salad, tomato cucumber mint) and then of course more random things. Like old school jello/ambrosia salads are maybe stretching the term salad, but so is Asian stuff like "noodle salad" which to most Asians is just a normal lunch bowl of noodles. 

Fruit salad is probably one of the few that isn't a true salad, unless you actually add a yogurt or pickling liquid dressing. But, fruit is often wet enough that maybe you can count the juices mixed together as a dressing? 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A salad is lettuce with some salad sauce. Or a fruit salad

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You go anom. I am so tired of some wanabee chef taking all the leftovers in the kitchen, craping them into a bowl or worse on a plate and calling it a salad. From what I've seen lately I could unwrap a Chorizo burrito dump it on a plate and call it salada Cancuna. 

• 1 month ago

Salad= chopped up bits of stuff mixed with other bits if stuff. 

• 1 month ago

You've been wondering for years and haven't yet looked up the definition of salad in a dictionary, or googled it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's usually a hodgepodge of cold to warm bite-sized pieces of food. 

The one thing you won't see in salad is whole food that you are unable to fit in your mouth. But they put whole carrots and chestnuts in there. Yes, those are bite sized or baby forms such as mini corn on the cob. Once it moves over to the HOT world you are probably looking at a stew. There are also exceptions to most every rule such as a hot kale salad with cabbage and carrots. I call that a stir fry with kale but other people call it a salad. That is where the water is murky because there are billions of people around so names can be a little interchangeable. That Cesar salad you mentioned can be served cold or it can have a freshly cooked and sliced chicken breast on it which will wilt the leaves a little but it will also melt the parmesan. There are spinach salads where a hot ingredient may be used to purposely wilt/partially cook the leaves. 

What's a salad? Anything with salad in the name. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The 'generic' definition of a 'Salad' usually involves some type of greenery-like a lettuce type of ingredient. Bu that precludes things like a Pasta Salad. 

So just figure on some sort of dish that is served Cold and can be considered as a prelude to a main dish. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.