Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Can we eat this food?

I bought a cast iron pot that I thought I washed it when I first bought it.  Today I took it out, forgot that I did not wash it before using it first time, I cooked pasta sauce in it. Then I have realized that I did not wash it when I first purchased it (it was a brand new pot), and now I am worried hat the food I cooked is not safe.  What chemicals would be in the brand new cast iron pot that I have to worry about?

it was the only pot available for me to use.  Nothing particular. I used cas=t iron pots for stews, pasta, meats etc.

Yes, you can eat it safely.

New cast iron pots and pans may be coated with a rust inhibitor. This is to prevent these from rusting on the sales floor.

Therefore, you may want to check ahead of time to see what the manufacturer of the nice pan you bought uses (or does not use).

If the rust inhibitor is an unpleasant material for the human body, if I were you, I'd say goodbye to the food and wipe my tears away.

This is the answer to considering it as pessimistically as possible.

If you don't notice anything unusual in the taste of the food, then you can eat them well.

I'm sorry if you don't like the answer.

• bill

I see no problem with that. Can't think of any chemicals that they'd add.

• kswck2

You need a tutorial of cooking and caring for an Iron skillet, pot, etc.  Do that first. 

Any oil on the pan is food safe.  Manufacturers oil the pans to prevent rusting and some cast iron pans are now "pre seasoned".  If that is the case with your pan again the oils used are food safe. 

No worries

• Goerge

You have nothing to worry about because they won't send out a toxic cast iron skillet. 

The cast iron however has much to worry about from you. 

You didn't season it before you used it. Cast iron cookware needs to be maintained and you didn't do $hit for it. It's not the normal non-stick faberware cookware that is pretty much disposable.

You are using it to cook pasta in. That means you are boiling water in cast iron which is you defining your ignorance or stupidity. Cast iron doesn't like water. Boiling water is LITERALLY, open those deaf ears for a half second!!!, the Kryptonite of cast iron. If you want to remove the seasoning that cast iron NEEDS and ruin the pan, keep boiling water in it. 

When someone has zero respect for cooking I offer them the same in kind. PLEASE!!!! do some research and LEARN how cast iron needs to be CARED FOR and not ABUSED the way you are. When someone shows the slightest inkling of a love for cooking or that they care about what they are doing in the kitchen, I also reply in kind. 

You should be able to take your SEASONED cast iron out of its cupboard or wherever it is kept and cook pancakes in it. A little butter or bacon fat firs and the batter second. YOUR cast iron would be as selfish as your cooking and it would keep your pancake(s). They would stick to it and they would be ruined.