Anonymous

If a 7 year-old only hurts small lizards would you be worried?

I'm a godmother of a 7 year-old girl. I'm going to refer to her as Ellie.

Overall she's a normal child with good parents. The only thing she has done repeatedly is catch small lizards and frogs and place some of them against a hot lightbulb. Her reasoning is curiosity about what's it like seeing an animal in pain. She releases them after 2 seconds of them writhing and shaking badly.

The only part I'm not able to comprehend is if it was curiosity the first time, why do it over and over. Secondly she knows it's wrong and that a hot lightbulb hurts...so why the need to question what's it like? Lastly, why is she spending slightly more time on that than playing with dolls, games on the tablet or other normal games?

I've addressed my concerns to the family. Would you be worried if this was your godchild or other relative?

I think she's bored too. She said she was once bored, got curious and wanted to know what it's like seeing them in pain.

Good to hear I'm not the only one concerned about the issue. She already had a long talk before and was told it was wrong but she isn't stopping. Her parents are scheduling an appointment with a child psychologist at this moment.

I would be worried.  She needs to be taught that all life is precious and she shouldn't harm anything. If she continues after a good talking to, then perhaps a psychiatrist is needed.

get her help asap befor it turns dangerouse you would wish you did if one day you alked into house and her mum is dead on floor coz of her daughter then you will regret it

• drip

Yes I would be worried. It is not normal for a child to injure an animal. Stepping on an ant is one thing, but to hurt a lizard is just not normal. And could be a sign of mental illness.  A child who is bored doesn’t start hurting animal. It is not normal for a child want to see an animal in pain. 

• Alan H

She is old enough to be told that such behaviour is cruelty.

As you, plainly, have not stopped her doing it, she must feel you do not strongly object. Face it: you are as much, if not more, to blame for that behaviour.

• Audrey

Yes. That's how serial killers start out. Get her some serious help NOW!

• T J

She has a mental problem. When she gets older, who will she torture? Or even kill? She has a problem and needs professional help.

Yup, she's a sociopath

don't worry too much all kids can act like sociopaths at that age.

still, keep an eye on her.

• Shilo

Yes, I would be worried. Torturing animals is a red flag for developmental emotional.disturbance.