Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Should I feel bad about this?!?

So I’ve been missing my family very much and they’ve been missing me. I’m 19 and a sophomore in college and a few hours away from home. I have my own apartment with a roommate who I’m good friends with. We have two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a living room so the deal is, she pays her side of the rent and I pay mine because it’s split in half. Which our parents pay.

Anyways she goes home every weekend or goes to do something or her boyfriend comes down often which is fine because she’s paying her share of rent. 

She’s going out of town tomorrow for a wedding for her boyfriend’s friend. Then next weekend she’s probably going home again. She has a car and everything and I don’t which she’s not responsible for me because I’m grown but she’ll go home for a full seven days. It’s hard to make friends up here now and I don’t really have any friends up here, so I’m practically by myself.

I love her family by the way and they love me, especially her mom.

So I am going home in 2 weeks and not coming back until 2021. I don’t think she told her parents that I’m leaving yet which it’s not really any of their business but I am leaving for a long time. Like i said she has a car and can go home whenever she wants and we’re pretty close friends. She offers for me to come sometimes but I can’t because of COVID.

So the question is should I feel bad for leaving her with the apartment for so long? She leaves me all the time. Plus my parents wanted me home because they miss me.

• Chanel

It is good that you two get on well living together but you don't have to feel guilty if you are going away.

You share the accommodation and live separate lives which sounds perfect.  As long as you pay your half of the rent while you are away that's all you have to worry about.  It's up to her whether or not she tells her parents.  I expect she will.  It's not for you to tell them.  I suggest you keep in touch with her while you are home with your parents.  There's nothing for you to feel bad about

• T J

No reason to feel bad, you have your own lives to live and she does. Now you go and do what you want and need to do. She has a car, and gets around fine, and will without you there. She may even let friends use your room, so if you have anything important to you or of value, you better take it with you. 2021 is not that far away, its 2 months, so it should be n big deal.

It's normal if you do feel a bit guilty but it sounds like the right choice. She should understand especially during covid

• Jerry

Sharing an apartment is  business arrangement, not a personal commitment like marriage. So long as you're there with your half of the money, as you clean up after yourself, as you respect her right to privacy and peace, then you're doing your fair share. It's not among your duties and responsibilities to make sure she doesn't get lonely, not something you should be concerning yourself with. She's an adult. She'll be fine.