Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Why do people succumb to peer pressure so easily?

A lot of people do things they don't necessarily want to do, just to fit in with a group of people. What do they actually gain from acting against their desires just to fit in? Are you really fitting in if you are faking it? How is that spiritually fulfilling to have to fake your way to fitting in rather than just being yourself and fitting in naturally?

• Hayley

Some people are weak and have no convictions. Whether you could attribute this to how individuals are raised or some folks are just submissive depends on the person.

• T J

People need to learn to not let themselves be pushed by others. We all have out own minds and know what is right for yourself, people need to use the common sense that they already have, and let the others do what they want, Resist to do stupid things, you do not want to do. Doing them to be pat of a group is not worth it. People need to learn to have respect for themselves, and screw those who are pushing you into something that is not right.  I may not have a lot of friends, but they do not push, because i push back, and they know it. And when I push back, I do it with a vengeance to them. I was raised knowing what is right for myself, and I will not allow anyone to try to mess with my ways.  II respect myself and my decisions, and thats all that counts to me.

They fear exclusion more than being inauthentic. So, being accepted quells soothes their insecurities. Secure people know who they are and can stand alone and will before going against their core beliefs. Insecure people are still trying to build that strength and are not strong in their core beliefs as that involves picking a side that may possibly not please others so, they free flow and try to avoid conflict and keep from being excluded. These are the types that are easily manipulated into cults, gangs, drug use, sex, etc. 

People are social animals, so they behave in social ways. A cohesive group an be a positive thing, although something does go wrong once in a while.

We are more likely to share resources with people we perceive to be similar to us. We're more likely to protect them. We're more likely to produce offspring with them.

Fitting in is valuable, even if it requires some effort.

• Dork

Such irony coming from someone posting a question anonymously.

Sometimes, they can act like total fags.