Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How come suicide hotlines always say that they have to free up the line?

I was on the phone with an suicide hotline worker and she told me that she had to go to free up the line. I was talking to her about my legal issues and told her that I thought about fleeing. She then started getting on my case and kept on telling me that I'll get caught. She then just said she had to free up the line after 7 minutes of talking. I'm pretty upset because I felt like she didn't care of what I had to say. How come they always say that they have to free up the lines ??

Get legal help for your legal issues.

Which story did you tell her?  The one where you're going to visit a friend or the one where you're going to assume another identity?

• LAN

Because you were wasting her time like you are ours right now by constantly playing pity me games.   Eventually they realize you aren't suicidal and hang up on you so they can talk to someone who really needs their help.

Did you call because you were suicidal? From the sounds of it you wanted to chat and they wanted to save people who were actually suicidal.

Try either the New York Samaritans or the Boston Samaritans hotlines. They are the only two decent ones in the country as far as I’m concerned. If you get a busy signal when you call the New York Samaritans that’s normal. You have to keep calling until you get through. And sometimes It will be a while before the Boston Samaritans pick up the phone, it will keep ringing. Especially now during Covid. But they’re both excellent resources if you really need to talk to somebody because you’re feeling desperate. New York Samaritans doesn’t ask your first name and gives you more talk time.  Boston Samaritans asks for your first name but you don’t have to tell them. They’ll still talk to you. I don’t know if you were calling National Suicide Hotline before. They are horrendous

People who call Hotlines, are not serious,  Being lonely they just want a chat.

People who are serious, DO IT, Whether they succeed is a matter of method & will power.

Telephone monitors are also volunteers, who Don't Really CARE! It is a pastime for them. It makes them feel good.

• Mike G

"Always"? How would you know?

Because you were tying up the line and you're not suicidal.  Legal issues and fleeing are not suicidal. 

Wait until you call the suicide hotline and they immediately put you on hold.  Then you know you're screwed.