Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

How to say YES to a bridesmaid invitation? What are the things I should do or expect?

I've been invited to my cousin's wedding as a bridesmaid. This is my first time to be asked to be a bridesmaid. I am unsure how to respond and what to do. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

As this can cost thousands of dollars you should first find out what the bride's expectations are. 

• 3 weeks ago

The most problematic bridal attent situation is your financial investment in someone else's wedding. 

You need to ask what is expected of you, financially speaking. Because if you do not find out, you really have no idea what you are committing to, financially speaking. 

For instance...hpwhat does she budget for you tomoay for a dress, or is she paying for it. Will she request you buy new shoes or to pay for professional services like having your hair done, nails polished or make up artist fees? Will it be a destination wedding or a distant wedding where hotel cost will be yours? Is she the type that wants a weekend long destination Bachelorette party or even a wedding in Costa Rica?

So, before you make a commitment, it is of your best interest and that of your friendship to find these things out in advance.

Sorry, but sometimes it DOES boil down to money. 

• Trish
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Talk to the bride and groom...if it's their first marriage they may not be clear on everything entailed.  Expenses may be higher than they realize but they should offer a relative idea of what they expect.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Just tell her you would be honored to be a bridesmaid in the wedding.  Ask her what you will be responsible for (your gown, shoes, hair, etc.) and what you can do to help her.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need to ask the bride what she expects of you.  Some bridesmaids are expected to pay for their own dresses and shoes, and in other cases, the bride will pay a portion of the cost.  You will be expected to attend a bridesmaids' luncheon and bridal shower(s).  The maid of honor usually directs some of the activities, as well as a wedding planner, if there is one.  Tell the bride you would be honored to be in her wedding (if that's the case).  Make sure it is something you will be comfortable financially doing.  If you can't afford it, then say so.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

well at least you were asked and not just expected of it from you 🙄

you don't know what to do or how to respond? really??? kinda dense huh... uh.. say yes or no????

• 1 month ago

As for the actual response, just call and say, "yes."  BUT, before you say yes, you'd be wise to understand the expectations of the bride.  For example:

1. What is the cost or budget of the bridesmaids dress? Hair & makeup? Staying at a hotel before or after the wedding?

2. Will you be expected to participate in helping her select her dress, send out invites, decorate for the wedding, host a shower or bachelorette party?

3. What are the travel and time commitments for these expectations?

Some brides are easy and just want you to show up sober and on time for the wedding.  Others expect their bridal posse to act as free labor, expend lots of money, and act as wedding planners.  KNOW WHAT YOU ARE IN FOR, before agreeing to the job. 

• 1 month ago

Just call up and say yes; there's no special process. 

Be clear with the bride on your budget (for buying the dress, travel, parties and everything else; if you're in the US, you have to pay for it) and expectations (technically you just have to turn up on the day in the dress; but she might want you to also help with other things, like wedding planning and set-up)

• 1 month ago

Just go and try to face the reality

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You first ask how much time and money you can expect to spend. 

Are you willing to pay $300 for a dress, plus shoes, plus professional make up and hair???

Can you take off work for a weekend bachelorette party and what about the cost? 

Will the bride expect you to be to take off work to shop for a dress. Or make 200 party favors.  

Where is the wedding? Do you need money to travel and accommodations.

Tell her you are so excited. But would like to ask some questions and then think about it.  To be sure you can fulfill the honor, 

Be clear . I can budget $300 total for the attire. I can not take off work. 

Yes you are all excited, thrilled. 

Take time to think about the reality of it all. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.