Started a new job and no hours?

I started a new job about two weeks ago. I told the manager I needed 15-20 hours a week (to pay my bills) and im getting about 8-12 at most. I told her at the beginning I needed this, so what do I do? She has the schedule out till November 1st, in which I'm still getting 10 hours a week. 

It is not unusual to have to prove yourself on the job before you start getting scheduled for more hours. Employer needs determine who is hired, and who is scheduled when for what. Volunteer to take on more hours, e.g. if someone calls in sick. Stop whining & do a superior job, pay attention to the employer's needs, & then pursue more hours - or else a job with more hours. 

• Bill

Talk with the manager and explain that you took the job based on 15-20 hours per week and that you will be forced to quit if you are not scheduled that many on a consistent basis.  You will either be given more hours or you can quit and look for a job that meets your needs.

• Try asking for more hours, if she can't give you the hours get a second job. 

You can't make her give you more hours.  If she won't give you enough, then get another job.

• ?

She's not going to give you hours she doesn't have.  They have a budget to adhere to, so they aren't going to give you more hours if the sales don't support the need.  You're a new hire, so you'll be the last one to get more hours if other people are also getting shorted. Start looking for a second job to go along with this one, or find one that can give you the hours you want.

Look for another job.

When you get one that has more hours...QUIT this one.

• Damien

so what? she's likely got other workers too demanding more hrs. You don't like, go find a job with more hrs.

• n2mama

You aren’t going to like this answer very much, but here it is. Your manager doesn’t really care how many hours you need to pay your bills. She’s concerned with making sure she has appropriate staff for the store to support the business needs. You are a new, unproved employee, so the most senior and proven people will have scheduling priority. If you want to get more hours, the first thing you can do is show that you are worth giving more hours to. Work all your shifts, on time, with a positive and enthusiastic attitude. Take on additional responsibilities, if it’s a customer facing position give amazing customer service 100% of the time. Once they see that you are a good employee, you may start to get more shifts. You also may want to look at your availability and see if it’s open enough to provide scheduling flexibility. More flexible people get more hours as a general rule. If you only have availability three days a week and expect to get 7-8 hour shifts each of those days, that’s probably not realistic.