Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 month ago

I'm a black girl and into rock music and metal and all my friends call me weird ?

I'm a 24 year old black girl and I don't like usually listen to rap like most of my friends, yeah I do like and respect a few rappers such as 2pac, Eminem, Nas,  Kendrick, NWA, Ice T and a few others but I can't stand new age mumble rappers like "Lil This" and "Lil That" my favourite artist is  Marilyn Manson and I also love Disturbed, System of a down..  

My friends call me weird for not bowing down to artist like Beyonce and Nicki Minaj and not thinking that they're gods gifts to the world. 

That's MALE dominated.

If you like Rock, deep down inside of you is a Blues lover because it's the foundation of Rock. Blues is also the the foundation R&B and was created by blacks.   

That is perfectly fine if you're black, a girl, and into rock and metal music. You like what you like and that's awesome! Guess what? I'm black, a girl, and into rock music myself, along with other types of music. You're friends should be able to respect your tastes just as you probably respect theirs. And don't worry about being weird...weird is great and it's way better than being normal. :) 

• blank

Nothing wrong with having ypur own taste in music.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes and people have different taste. If your "friends" cannot respect your right to have your own likes and dislikes, are they really friends. People who really love you, love you "in spite of", not "because of". Some people only like people who agree with them on everything like the same things they like. The president is a perfect example of that. If you notice anyone who agrees with him is a good person and those who disagree with him, he has negative names for them.

Idk. You like what you like. Not everyone likes the same stuff. 

I like older music and I like new rappers that talk about serious issues. My friends like new party music. It’s all good. 

Your friends are daft.

Taste is a purely personal thing, and race has no place in making decisions of what music styles musicians you like or dislike.

And for anyone to say Black must = Rap is plain crazy.

Among others in my current playlists:

Roachford

Booker T Jones

Alicia Keys

Dobie Gray

Diana Ross

Junior Walker

Seal

Ne-Yo

(Plus a lot of other artists / bands).

And I can't stand rap either! I mostly like Rock, Blues rock, Heavy metal etc.

(White British, with zero concern about where anyones ancestors came from).

• not

The metalheads of yesterday are today's scientists. This music of outcasts turned out to be the music of the intelligent. Back in the 80s and 90s they treated me, a white person who enjoyed this music as if there was something wrong with me. Called a devil worshiper of course along with plenty of other stuff. I knew then that the average person did not have the mental capacity required to process such music and am not surprised today at what studies prove. I already knew most of us were nerds. Don't let dumb people make you question yourself.

Your friends are foolish.  They can't dictate what a person likes or doesn't like.  They are immature twits.  You might want to culture some new, better friends.

• Go to YouTube.

"Ask Lemmy: Black kid who likes metal asks Lemmy Kilmister for advice."