What type of wood is this and what sawn cut?

This is my childhood bed that my parents recently gave to me. I would like to take it to a good furniture person to have it refinished. The bed support have so many different types of screws holding the support rails and so many holes in the legs. It squeaks a lot because of the rails and the many types of screws holding the rails to the legs. The bed has been refinished before a really really long time ago. Its around 100 years old. Since the legs of the head and footboard have so many holes and the bed rails aren't original I would like to make some nice bed rail supports of my own out of the same wood. I am capable of making the bedrails myself and finishing them but I do not want to refinish the rest myself. IE I dont trust myself to sand it.

Can someone please identify the type of wood and sawn for me so I can order some boards to make some rails?

Also can anyone recommend any great hardware options that I might not know about to attach the rails? Theres so many screw holes and wallowed out old holes in the legs that I want to do this correct now so it doesn't have to be done again, ever. I dont want to have more screw holes.

Thanks!!!

It is Burl.  Trees as they grow, some get deformities on them or large WARTS.  That is the burl.  They then cut thin slices of it when they half it.  Then that is glued onto ugly ordinary plywood and that is what you see.

Walnut burl veneer. The wood is a thin veneer over a secondary wood. If you want it refinished, take it to someone with plenty of experience, or do it yourself by hand with care, or you'll sand right through the veneer.

The rails would not originally be made out of wood in a piece this age. If you want to make them yourself, make them out of any matching hardwood, but you won't get the expected "spring" you would get from the original steel rails.

• John

Yes except it's walnut "burl", not burr. Quite expensive to build a bed frame out of solid walnut these days. You could fake those rails pretty well with many hardwoods and a good stain job, since they are hidden under the mattress and box spring. 

The wood is Burr Walnut (in the UK, or Burl elsewhere). It is a cut taken through a diseased part of the tree that produces a highly figured grain. It is nearly always a veneer, so you would not readily obtain it as solid sections of any length. Often the rails are steel angles if they would be covered by the bedclothes or a valance. They form a rectangle which is then attached to the head and footboards by cast brackets. Commonest frames in the UK were by a firm called Vono. You could do the same thing in plain walnut which will give a decent fixing zone to the originals. Have a look at the legs which are usually solid timber, and try to get a match for that. Fill the cleaned out holes with wood glue and sawdust, packed in tightly. 

• Tavy

It looks like Walnut. Give it a google.