Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Please help me! The police gave me a ticket for something most people break?

I’m 17, I was late for work. I’ll admit, I was at a roundabout where I saw a yield sign and choose to quickly hurry and beat the oncoming traffic. The guy in the motorcycle tells me to pull over and I noticed it’s a cop! He put his sirens on. 

Please help me I don’t want to lose my license! This is completely unfair, most people ignore yield signs, I bet the cop is ironic as well!

• L

YOU broke a LAW!  OBEY the laws and you won't have to worry about this.

• Cee

I really don't care, dipsh!t.

so let me get this right.....you didn't leave EARLY enough to get past traffic wonder why you got a ticket for blowing a sign and then come on here and ask what to do? first off leave earlier for work second don't be in a hurry

I would thought at 17, being given a ticket or any other punishment is an oxymoron. 

• Bruce

What other people do is irrelevant. The only issue the court will care about is what you did. The rule for a Yield sign is to slow down and prepare to yield if necessary. By your own admission, you broke the law. You didn't slow down, you sped up. 

Check with the court clerk. They may offer a diversionary program such as community service or traffic school to keep it off your record. 

The fact most people speed is not a defense against a speeding ticket. The same goes for whatever you were cited for.

• y

yes, that is how it works, many people ignore traffic laws and get away with it. That is, until the cops want to raise a little revenue, then they crack down on these areas where they know this happens.  It is completely fair, it is how the game is played. If you can't afford the ticket, or live in a state where one under 18 can suspend your licenses. Then don't follow the crowd and only play by the rules. You didn't, you lose.

I don't understand how you can lose your license over one citation.

I am assuming that he gave you a ticket for actually NOT YIELDING to other traffic.

Also - it seems you do not know what "ironic" means.

Relax. You got a ticket. Lots of people do, and you won't lose your license unless you get a bunch of them.

Other people violating the sign doesn't excuse your doing so. But you can appeal the ticket. Say you're sorry and you learned a lesson, and you might get it reduced. 

Does the whittle baby want his bottle or diaper changed? Grow up buddy, 100% your fault. If it involves fines or raise of insurance, then consult a lawyer and see if they can help get you out of the ticket but the excuse of “most people ignore yield signs” is not an excuse, that proves most people are idiots and not driving correctly.