Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 month ago

Will my hand and arm heal?

I got cut deep in my forearm last year and now my pinky and ring fingers feel weak. I saw a neurologist and he said that I don’t need surgery and that my hand would feel normal after six months. Well, my hand doesn’t feel any better and it’s been 18 months. I had plans to go back to school and study the piano and music theory but my hand makes me feel discouraged and scared to take those chances. Will my hand ever get better? 

The neurologist told me that I don’t need therapy or surgery 

You've wasted 18 months. Without physical therapy, your injury will not magically return to pre-injury condition. 

• Joe

I am not a doctor, nor can I predict the future.

I CAN say that you should engage in a program of physical therapy: exercises to improve strength, flexibility, and dexterity in your injured arm.  Consult your doctor.

Will your hand get back to its pre-injury condition?  I don't know.

Will you hand get better than it is now?  YES.

Go back to a doctor and start working with a physical therapist.  Any muscles that are are unused will atrophy.  You probably should have been doing specific hand/finger exercises for the last year.  It will take time to rebuild the strength and dexterity.