Mike asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is self-harm illegal like suicide is?

This doesn’t mean that I’m going to do anything harmful but I’m just curious cause I heard suicide is in some states and was wondering the same thing about self-harm like cutting and stuff like that.

• garry

no self harm you live , suicide you die , thats why suicide is illegal , so much for your human rights , your not allowed to die ..!!! or if you attempt suicide , use self harm as an excuse ..

No, but it is bad. If you know anyone doing this please get them help, it could lead to suicide

Self-harm means you are intentionally harming yourself. Self-harm is not a mental health problem but it is often associated with mental distress. It is common to harm oneself in secret. You can do this because you feel that your opinions and feelings are not acceptable to other people.

Self-harm can be painful for both you and your loved one. This is because they do not understand why you are hurting yourself.

By assuming that suicide is "illegal", you believe it is against the law.

This is not the case...what it does mean is that the police have jurisdiction to intervene when someone is a danger to themselves or others.

Self-harm and cutting, burning, etc is a symptom of serious clinical depression.  And for this reason, in most states, someone who self harms can be forced into psychiatric hospitalization to save themselves from obvious harm.

If we treat the depression, the suicide and the self harm should cease when the patient recovers.

suicide is murder no matter how you slice it.  If the cops or your parents wanted to push it.... I am sure you could be charged with endangering yourself or some charge for cutting.  It is very reasonable.  You can't kill or hurt people - yourself included.  Though often we do not seek criminal prosecution of people who harm themselves.  It is "rude" :)

Self harm shouldn’t be illegal. Neither should suicide. After all a lot of psychiatrists will give you psychiatric drugs which will cause you tremendous harm and may even kill you OR cause you to kill yourself. After all, suicidality IS a documented side effect of many psychiatric drugs. 

But psychiatrists get paid very well to inflict these medication-induced harms and fatalities upon their patients. 

From my own experiences with these matters,  I believe that there IS such a thing as ‘suicide by psychiatrist’ and ‘harm by psychiatrist’  ..just as there’s something known as “suicide by cop”, for example.

So why should ‘suicide (or harm) by psychiatrist’ via psychiatric drugs, be perfectly legal...whereas ‘suicide by self’ (or “self-harming”) should NOT be legal?

By the way I’m not advocating either of these two things but I’m just saying that it’s a ridiculous situation when somebody with a medical degree can get away with it and rewarded for it by a society....but somebody who does it to themselves in the privacy of their own homes or wherever...has to worry about criminal or other punitive consequences, such as forced hospitalization let’s say, which is similar to imprisonment And maybe even worse in some ways....Since they don’t routinely strap down prisoners in prisons and inject them with psychiatric drugs as far as I know. Not as a routine matter of course anyway, but this is certainly done in mental hospitals all over this country and has been for a long time.

So yeah... why do the ‘do-it-yourself’-ers get criminally penalized while the psychiatrists who provide the same injurious or fatal ‘services’ for a hefty fee get rewarded with big salaries and a higher social ranking within society? It’s a totally unjust situation. That’s my argument. And I think it has merit to it

Again I’m not advocating suicide or self harm...I have attempted suicide myself and I’ve also nearly been killed by psychiatric drugs (And definitely permanently damaged by them) while in a deep state of depression after a brutal nightmare of a divorce  ...so it was quite possibly my subconscious attempt  in my deep state of grief, self-loathing and shame..(being homeless, not being able to see my own son and so forth) ....at  “self harm” and perhaps even attempted ‘suicide by psychiatry’, as I like to call it. 

And the state psychiatrists I went to who put me on multiple very toxic drugs and ignored all the toxicity symptoms until they were irreversible certainly facilitated this whole attempt on my part at “self harm” or even possibly suicide... even if on a subconscious level. 

Because psychiatric drugs have been known to damage people irreversibly as well as even cause them to commit suicide. Permanent physical and neurological damage and even suicide are listed as side effects of many of these drugs .They knew what they were doing to me. And they didn’t care.

So I’m not just talking off the top of my head here... what’s left of it at this point anyway, after all the severe physical and neurological damage inflicted upon me by the drugs I was given.

I’ve been there. I consider psychiatry to be a criminal enterprise. I have for many years now. Because I’ve been a victim of it.

But the criminals who make a very good living in that field, who provide the ‘services’ of self harm and even death to people who are in desperate need and coming to them for help... never seem to pay for their crimes. 

“The wounded surgeon plies the steel

That quesions the distempered part;

Beneath the bleeding hands we feel

The sharp compassion of the healer's art

Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.

Our only health is the disease

If we obey the dying nurse

Whose constant care is not to please

But to remind us of our, and Adam's curse,

And that, to be restored, our sickness must grow worse.

The whole earth is our hospital

Endowed by the ruined millionaire,

Wherein, if we do well, we shall

Die of the absolute paternal care

That will not leave us, but prevents us everywhere.”

— Thomas Stearns Eliot 

As far as it being illegal, it varies from state to state. However, in all states, it generally guarantees  a stay in a mental institution. 

• Hannah

No it's not illegal. If it is severe they may take you into hospital but otherwise they can't stop you.

Neither self harm or suicide are illegal if you live in the US. However, if you’re determined by a court to be a danger to yourself (which includes self harm and attempted suicide), then you can be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. 

• LAN

Not illegal but family can get you involuntarily committed if you display signs of this.   Grow up.