Is it weird that I’m calmer at public speaking than one on one?

I tend to freak out when talking with someone one on one or performing in front of a small group. When I played by myself in the school talent show 2 years ago, I felt natural. Same when I had to address some people for a concert. I feel like if I were to go up onstage in front of a million people, I would feel natural. Is this weird?

I mean that one announced thing I totally made up on the spot

• drip

No not weird at all.  You will find many stage actors are fine in front of an audience but very shy or introverted in person.

No.  There are many of us who are that way.  When you are doing public speaking, you are in control.  You can think about what you are going to say in advance.  You do not have to worry about having to answer their questions, react to their expressions, etc.  The conversation is totally one sided - yours - and you are in control.