Alex asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

My mom told me to stop having a panic attack?

I have autism and I was having a panic attack because of a schedule change. My mom, who works as an OT in an elementary school tells me to stop having a panic attack. She WORKS with kids that have a hard time for a living and she’s telling ME to stop having a panic attack. She says I cause myself to panic. Anything?

My knee-jerk response was that, sometimes people are human and make mistakes, even parents though I don't want them to.

Of course, you're right, you can't control the panic, it's innate within autism. I've learned how to do 4th step resentments in 12-step programs, and what they would say is to just look at how high your expectations are of her, as this makes it more difficult to forgive. Also, they would say to think of what to say that would bring the situation to peace. For me, I've learned dear man: describe the situation, say how your emotion, ask for what you would like in the future, reinforce why that's important, (okay, I don't remember the rest, but those first four things really work usually).  You hadn't said that she did something like this in the past so, my guess is that this is a new thing.  If you notice a pattern of this, I might get concerned but right now I would just simply talk with her about it.  ☺

Consider this:  We all have anxiety.  Even newborn infants.  However, the job of our parents during our childhood and adolescence is to teach us the coping skills necessary to be able to function in society without having melt downs and panic attacks.

And so your mother is right.  But she still has a lot to teach you.

I'm sorry that your mom does not believe you. panic attacks are real.

I went through that for many years.I was hospitalised many times.

and I do not wish that on anyone.do Yoga that is what help me. I still.

not over them. but I fight them.

• garry

yes , stop having panic attacks you dummy .  face upto life and act responsible instead of panicing , act more like your age , in other words get a life .

Your mom is in the wrong. I'm sorry you have to deal with that sweety. Sadly people who dont go through it themselves often dont understand how crippling they can be.

Well your mom is obviously totally irrational and illogical and you’re obviously very intelligent and rational and logical. Probably because you’re on the autistic spectrum. I feel bad for you because your mom is obviously a very ignorant woman. It has nothing to do with you causing anything. It has everything to do with the function of the human brain. I am on the spectrum as well and I know. And I’m getting tired of ignorant people who make stupid comments Or even try to put people on the spectrum on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs to destroy their lives even further. It’s insane. I wish you luck. Sorry you have to have a mother like that

my opinion is that she is overreacting. I mean as you're autism its not easy for both to understand easily if both parties are under stress. 

If you really start to panic try to inhale/exhale and count to 5. maybe this helps to come down a little bit.

• Seth C

As I understand it, that is a little like blaming you for getting wet when you are caught in the rain.

• ?

your mom seriously need to get better training

There's more to this story.  Let's hear it.