Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 1 month ago

Why do people make straight characters gay?

One example of that is my hero Academia, it’s a good show but the fanbase is awful considering that the female fans of the show turn the straight guys gay but there’s not even one gay character in that show! And it’s a shonen and there’s no way a shonen can have gay characters, I’ve also seen there was yuri content for highschool dxd and sword art online which is totally unnecessary considering that they are harem animes so there is no yuri in those shows what so ever? And the last example is where people write yuri fanfics for the dating sim game Huniepop even though again, it really doesn’t have any yuri in it at all since it’s a dating sim mostly played by men

To really piss of the homophobes in the world so characters have more impact with society. Like it or not. You pander to your demographic just for the money. So sex sells apparently.

theres a lot of homophobes here including you. When does it ever say their sexuality? and yeah, we want attention because we literally get no representation. Everything is straight by default in this society and we want to change that. Theres nothing wrong with fanfics lmao

Political agenda. They want to appease the LGBTQIA community.

Case in point - for decades people thought Hanna Barbera's Snagglepuss and the Goofy Gophers were questionable, even though these characters were aimed at kids.

In THE LOONEY TUNES SHOW Warner Bros. made the Gophers an openly-gay couple and DC Comics, which is owned by Warner Bros., made Snagglepuss gay to put anyone's doubts about these characters' orientation to rest.

The real question is, why are you assuming the characters’ sexuality. I’m pretty sure the creator of bnha hasn’t confirmed that any of the characters were straight so technically they can ship gay ships. The only character’s sexuality he has confirmed was Toga being bisexual. It’s also just ships, let them ship who they want. But if the ship is illegal, then that’s def a problem.

Some shonen do have gay characters though. Example: Bulat from Akame ga Kill. 

There’s nothing wrong with people shipping two characters really, let them be. It’s just their opinion.

political agenda?

It is quite common in anime that have a lot of male characters, such as beyblade, naruto or yu-gi-oh or any sports anime in general where there is a strong rivalry between two males. As someone who used to read and write that stuff as a teen, I think it was because the female characters in those shows were terrible, lacking any depth and their main personality trait was having a crush on a guy (like sakura in naruto). I couldn't relate to them at all, and writing a self insert character just seemed pathetic lol

It just adds a little bit of tension to an otherwise vanilla romance. The stakes are higher. I think that is what made it more interesting to me. 

Also made it easier to distance myself from the story or avoid comparing myself to the girls. 

Plus its more of what you like, why have one hot guy if you can feature two? Sort of the same reason guys watch lesbian porn.

That and jealousy (still less pathetic than self inserts lol)

tv shows and movies have always had so much romance in them, even if it doesnt even make any sense. and its ALWAYS straight people. making their own headcanon is just the only option fans have if they want to see gay representation. what else can they do, just make their own series?

let me tell you, dont listen to the people who complain about an "sjw era". no matter how good your writing is, a series with a gay main character wont go anywhere. it will get banned in china. it will be rejected, or have bad funding, and stuck with a bad art style like netflix she-ra. shows with a queer main character can never reach mainstream success. some fans want a high quality show with a gay main character, but studios will never give it. the fans have no other option.

people can ship whoever they want and people shipping two guys or two girls together doesn't make them gay it's just an opinion. Besides most of their sexualities aren't confirmed so you can't say there all straight. They most likely are since the media doesn't do much lgbtq representation, but you don't actually know if they are.

• User

It's sexual fantasy.

They do the same things with much more popular "series", such as Harry Potter or even the TV show Supernatural.

I can't remember what the term is, but there's actually a term for online fan fiction that depicts homosexual..."encounters" between heterosexual characters in such series.

Again: it's simply the authors' sexual fantasies being "set down in print".

It's not that much different from "regular" fan fiction

except that it makes no attempt to coincide with the "canonical" storyline

and it is inevitably sexually explicit.

I do think that political correctness and tokenism goes too far and actually harms the quality of the production because the focus goes away from producing the best story and instead goes to satisfying the Twitter Mob.