Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Is it common to die in a helicopter like how Kobe Bryant died?

When pandemic ends i want to take a tour of cities in a helicopter. Don't want to just die from a crash.  Kobe Bryant is a celebrity, that's how I know about it. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

When a helicopter crashes, people usually die.  Helicopters don't crash very often, though.

In 2019, just over 50 people were killed in helicopter crashes in the US.  In any year, between 35,000 and 50,000 people are killed in car crashes in the US.  That should tell you which mode of transportation is more dangerous.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The chances of crashing is very small.  To be certified legal to fly all aircraft as well as helicopters especially the ones that take passengers must pass stringent regular safety checks.  The motors are super high quality built much better than car motors and metal moving parts must pass very strict inspections.  With all this unfortunately crashes do still occur but the chances of you being in one are incredibly small.  You must remember for every serious plane or car crash millions of people fly safely every day.  In many cases they say the most dangerous part of the flight is the drive in your car to the airport.  Every day is a risk of death no matter what you do.  You can die crossing the road or in a car crash or so many other ways.  Likely you have more chance of being stabbed or shot by some crook or looney robber as you walk into a store than you would by going for a helicopter flight and I am sure you would not let fear of what might happen when you walk into a store ever stop you.

Life is a risk so don't let it stop you doing the things you want to do when the risk is negligible.  Kobe Bryant was just the unlucky one whose luck in life ran out as happens to a certain number of people every day in car accidents, murders, animal attacks, falls from the ladder or heights etc.  These people just got unlucky and the fact is these serious deaths only happen to a very small part of the population whose luck just ran out that day.  Most of us will die of old age so don't miss out on the things you want to do because there is a very very small chance it may all go wrong and you may die.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, death occurs in most Helicopter crashes

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A tour of several cities by helicopter will cost you a fortune.  Seriously, a fortune. Helicopters are reasonably safe, otherwise they would not be used for rescues at sea, sometimes in very bad weather conditions. Prince William of the UK was a search-and-rescue pilot for a few years, I guess that he would not have been allowed to take on that role if the idea had been seriously hazardous.

Take note of the comments by 'The Devil' about Kobe's crash.

I have been fortunate, in my employment, to have had several helicopter rides for work. All good fun.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

So, how many helicopter crashes have you heard of since then? There you go. The helicopter Kobe died in was flying in very hazardous conditions- should not have even been flying.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sure.  My father, grandmother, two uncles and four cousins all died in helicopter crashes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Happens quite often. 

• 1 month ago

If your pilot feels they can fly in any weather and doesn't heed to atc i would say find another pilot.

• 1 month ago

Helicopters don't commonly crash or there would not be so many of them. But when they do crash I think it is common that the occupants of the copter do die more than not.  

• 1 month ago

i would hope not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.