In 1950 could a quarter buy a hearty meal at a diner?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

no, but it could buy more than it does now.

• 2 weeks ago

maybe a fast food meal

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

if you wanted a can of HEARTY SOUP  for dinner a can of soup was 10 cents  cabbage was 6 cents a pound and  chicken was 43 cents a pound  math and planning could do it a half pound of chicken would be 22 cents

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, but it could buy a lot more than now.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I found this on a website called 'Restaurant-ing Through History'. 

1951 Curly’s Chesterfield Club, Waterloo IA: Sunday Dinner, All You Can Eat, $1.50 – Fried Chicken served family style, with Tomato Juice, Shrimp or Fruit Cocktail, Relish Dish, Salad Bowl, Hot Biscuit, Mashed Potatoes, Cream Gravy, String Beans, Pie or Ice Cream, choice of drink (i.e., non-alcoholic beverage).

1952 Robin Hood Cafeteria, Corpus Christi TX: Meat Loaf with Tomato Sauce, 34¢; Snap Blackeyed Peas and Salt Pork, 15¢; Plain, Fruit or Nut Jello, 9¢.

1956 Sunday dinner at the Covered Wagon, Chicago: Prime Rib U.S. Choice Beef, $2.75, Roast Sirloin of Beef, $1.95, Seafoods, $1.85 to $3.00, Bar-B-Q Ribs, Fried Chicken, $2.25, Steaks from $3.00; served with Relish Tray, Baked Potato, Salad, Dessert, Soup, Vegetable, Beverage, Homemade Hot Rolls.

The site is kind of interesting so I will leave the link as well.

https://restaurant-ingthroughhistory.com/restauran...

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

a cup of coffee thats all .

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A Hearty Meal  ?....You  could definately  get  some  food & drink for a quarter

• 1 month ago

Yes, in the 1950's McDonald's had their 15 cent hamburgers. 

And root beer was 10 cents, so there you have a meal.  

• 1 month ago

You could probably get a cup of coffee, definitely, and they probably taste no worse than $1.25 or more you pay now for a cup of coffee at most places that aren't coffee shops.  I reckon you could get a full meal for $2-$3.     

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. You might be able to a meal for $5, but a quarter would only buy you a beverage.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.