Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

In movies, I see people hiding things in their toilet tank. They use plastic zipper bags that never leak. Which brand is this?

I find that a lot of bags won't hold air and if like to put liquids into them t I freeze it 

You DO KNOW COPS WATCH TV TOO? So that is the first place they check on a RAID. Who said NEVER? Movies is fantasy. Cars die when you need them. Cars run by themselves (Herbie). No one ever needs to use the washroom to drop a "load"

Freezing a liquid in a plastic bag means the liquid inside gets larger as it freezes and bag opens. Freezing water can break a cast iron engine block.

• elhigh

In my experience the waterproofness of those bags is actually pretty reliable.

Your best bet is to get Ziploc double-zipper freezer bags.  They're pretty tough and the double zipper is just that much more insurance against leaks.  They're reliable enough that I can fill one with fresh soup stock - 100% liquid - and then lay the bag down on its side so it freezes flat, easy to store in the freezer.  No leaks in over ten years of doing this.

Note: I say Ziploc but I don't generally purchase the big name brands.  I'll get the store brand; it works just as well but costs a lot less.

You DO KNOW COPS WATCH TV TOO? So that is the first place they check on a RAID.  Who said NEVER? Movies is fantasy.  Cars die when you need them. Cars run by themselves (Herbie). No one ever needs to use the washroom to drop a "load"

Freezing a liquid in a plastic bag means the liquid inside gets larger as it freezes and bag opens.  Freezing water can break a cast iron engine block.

In movies, the bags only have to last 5 minutes, while they are shooting the concealment scene, and then 5 minutes while they shoot the recovery scene.  The bags do not have to have been actually in the toilet tank during any other filming.

Groan - disillusionment!

It's "Movie" brand bags. In other words, there aren't any brands that are watertight inside a toilet tank. Movies take a LOT of liberties with the facts. This is one of them. 

test the individual bags ... and, heavier plastic works better.

Any food bag that holds liquids in, will keep liquids out. 

Wise sailors know to double bag items that they need to keep dry. 

Of course props don't leak in the 15 minutes the bag is in the tank ABOVE the water line. They use whatever is handy, and it DOES NOT reflect real life.

• Barry

A boat accessory shop will sell waterproof bags.