Do you like Joss Whedon's Firefly?

I'm seriously into BTVS but I never got into Firefly. I watched season one or something and just didn't find I liked it. Does this mean I have poor taste or is the show not for everyone?

We all have things we like which other people don't. I like Futurama (which Fox also didn't treat well). With Groening he had the last laugh because his show developed a cult following and had a long run, AND he wrote the successful Netflix series Disenchantment.

The show felt fairly episodic. Neither the writing nor the plots ever seemed original or creative. Instead of having a story to tell, it felt derivative. It wasn't houmorous. So, for me, not five stars.

Entropy: Interesting you think Futurama declined, I'd actually be interested to know why? I thought the later seasons were better - did you dislike the soppy Fry Leela arc?

Firefly was excellent.  I loved it.  I don't think anyone is required to like it to have "taste".  I've never met anyone who actually watched it (on DVD I mean) and didn't like it.  But nothing is perfect for everyone.

I would agree that the first season was episodic, but I think that is a factor of FOX killing it.  There was a long term plot developing, especially with the Tam's and the government, but also we were getting glimpses of more and more backstory with Zoe and Mal from the war, Book's past, and so forth.  Remember, the show only got 13 or 14 episodes made.  That's half of a normal season.  On top of that Fox aired them out of order and played it's usual game of "Let's constantly change your air date in an era before DVR's were common".

Remember that Buffy in it's first season was largely episodic as well.  Sure, there was 'The Master', who I would argue was the least compelling of the Buffy 'Big Bads' (Yes, even worse than Adam), but all he did was direct the vampire episodic attacks until the last episode or two of the season.

I very much disagree that it wasn't humorous.  I do have a friend who just doesn't think Whedon-anything is funny, but you found Buffy funny, and this is largely the same sense of humor.

I also liked Futurama...for a time.  It got REAL bad after a point.  Disenchanted is … adequate.  I didn't want to slit my wrists while watching, but it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, I liked that a lot ND WISH IT HADN'T BEEN CANCELLED.

• bill

I've watched Firefly and Serenity more than a dozen times. Wonderful entertainment.

I felt like it started out okay, but after some point, I just got turned off to it. There were concepts in it, that I liked though... for the same reason that I watched Cowboy Bebop.

I was also a big fan of Buffy but couldn't get into Firefly.  Part of it was probably that after years of watching Buffy I was very aware of Joss's tropes.  With Buffy I was invested in the characters a lot so I could forgive some of the tropes being stale.  But with a new show I didn't have that.  Also, the idea of lionizing ex-Confederates (the show was a "western in space") didn't sit right with me.

• User

It had great potential that was never realized.

No, it doesn't mean that you have poor taste.

I'll take Babylon 5 any day (until the last season, which stank).

• EddieJ

I watched it because I love Jewel Staite.

• Thorn

Yes.  I bought the show on dvd.  I've watched it twice.  And the movie Serenity. 

Not necessarily. You don't really say what you didn't like about it.