what if my parents spend my FAFSA money?

In 3 checks i recieved about $3000 from my FAFSA, and my parents said they would put it in my trust account for safekeeping. Instead, they spent it. Fast forward a few months and they kicked me out of the house and im staying with a friend while i figure out an apartment, and $3000 could really help. Is there a way I can report them and get the money back? I dont know what to do.

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    It would depend upon what kind of financial aid refund the money was from - if it was from a PLUS (Parent loan), THEY borrowed the money & it would be their loan to pay.  If it was any other type of refund check, it would have been made out to YOU.  Did you sign the checks for them to take care of? How old are you? Obviously, it's time to take care of your own business.  If you did NOT sign checks made out to you, contact the school  about replacement checks & report the fraud.  If you signed them & handed them over - LESSON LEARNED, huh?  Probably the most important thing you will learn in college!

  • User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Yes, you can report them.

    That is some sort of misuse of funds and/or embezzlement (probably both).

    Talk to a lawyer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.